Chapter 39: The Butterfly

Aphmau's POV
I wake up to the smell of bacon and eggs. I make a small, barely audible whimper and curl myself up closer to the bundle of warmth next to me. I'm in the sitting position on a couch, yet I had a wonderful sleep.

The smell continues wafting into my nose until I open my eyes. I tilt my head up and see Garroth smiling down at me.

I make a goofy smile and then sit up. I turn to my left and notice Laurance standing in the door frame, smirking and he makes a heart shape with his hands.

I turn to Garroth and he rolls his eyes, making an amused "tch" sound. "How long you gonna stalk us?" Garroth says, standing up.

"Whaat? I'm not allowed to ship you?!" Laurance teases. "Anyways, I noticed Aphmau was here when I came in, so I made enough breakfast for the four of us. Dante is already gorging it down."

"How can you wake up so early when we all were out until 2 am?" Garroth asks, holding his hands in the air and leaning back in a stretch.

"I don't know, habit I guess." Laurance says, turning to go back to the dining room.

"Come on." I say, motioning Garroth to follow.

I walk into the dining room, "Hey Dante, I'm here because I came in at like 2 am and I just fell asleep on the couch." I say.

Okay so that may not be entirely true, but hey close enough right?

"Why 2 in the morning? What happened?" He asks.

"Long story short, Zenix happened." I respond dully.

He nods, "Oh. He seems to have a death wish, one day he's going to pick on the wrong person. Anyways, come join us for breakfast!"

"Thanks, but I should really be heading home. I feel akward eating your food, and I have to cook for Kiki." I say.

"No, stay and have breakfast, it's no trouble! Besides I already made you food, so you have to eat it!" Laurance says, walking in from the kitchen with a plate in each hand.

"O-okay, fine. Thank you." I say as he places a plate in front of me and Garroth.

"It's no problem!" He says going into the kitchen and coming out again with his own plate.

Once we all get settled, Garroth turns to Dante, "What did you guys do after we left yesterday?"

"Well, we figured we shouldn't just have a party after you disappeared yesterday, so everyone took a few food items to their house to hold until you came back. Also, why did you guys leave yesterday?" Dante asks after he explains.

Because the living room is on the opposite side of the house from the front door, most of the people at the party probably didn't notice Zenix's entrance.

~Garroth, Laurance, and I explain the whole story of how Zenix came in and trapped us in a basement, how we finally escaped, and when we got here.~

I realize something that makes my eyes widen, "Wait. Did anyone see Zane in the basement?" I ask.

"Oh my Irene, I can't believe we forgot about him!" Laurance says, panic edging his voice.

"None of us actually did it on purpose, we were tied up down there for about eight hours after all, and we weren't thinking straight." I say.

Garroth and Laurance nod their heads, yet fear still edges their gazes.

Zane's POV
Darkness.

Black, empty darkness.

This feeling of nothingness is all too familar.

I know exactly what it is.

And I know a way to defeat it.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

I think of when I was very young.

When I knew how to have fun.

When everything was okay.

Before mother died.

I see a shimmer and I let my mind drift toward it.

It glows brighter and brighter, then explodes.

Bright white light engulfs me.

It wraps around me in a warm and comforting hug.

It reminds me of her.

When father was good.

When everything was alright.

"Mother?" I say, the edges of my lips staring to curl upward.

"Everything's going to be alright." She whispers quietly.

I notice a bright, sapphire blue butterfly flutter toward me.

My first thought is to follow it, so I do.

It leads me to a large puddle in the shape of a moon. The water seemed dark.

It dips down and touches the water with it's wings. Ripples form and the dark substance gets pushed outside of the puddle, revealing the water to be the same blue as the wings of the butterfly's wings.

I step forward and look down at the puddle, around the crescent is what looks to be ash.

In the center looks to be reflections of all of the people who have accepted me.

Aphmau's shines the brightest.

Behind her are the second most bright reflections; Garroth, Laurance, Kiki, and...

Vylad?

Vylad is near?

I haven't talked to him in years, yet he trusts me?

I look up at the butterfly and it shakily rises up and bursts into flames, its ashes falling into the puddle.

No don't go!

The water in the puddle trembles.

The ashes around the puddle become flames and burn out of existance.

The puddle is now white, yet the water trembles more vigorously than before.

Out explodes a bright red phoenix, soaring straight up and opening its wings against a moon's glow.

In glides straight down again and swoops toward me, landing on my shoulder.

Now I understand...

This phoenix is Aphmau.

She led me to the light.

~Heeeyyy!!! This is probably one of my favorite chapters yet!

If you couldn't tell, the phoenix is my favorite mythical creature.

Anyways, I am so sorry that I haven't updated in four days, honestly it feels like it has been a week.

I just couln't think of a good way to write this and on top of that, all of the feels of Aph's recent episodes haven't put me in the mood to write...

Until yesterday when I raged and it was like a spark ignited and I gained enough ideas to do a few updates and then some of something else.

I also announced that I was writing another book, if you want more information on that, go check out my theories book, it's on that.

Keep smiling!

Caio!
-Gabby

Song: Fade into Darkness - Avicii
(one of my favorite singers!)
(yes singer, Tim Bergling, better known by his stage name Avicii)