Two, Part 2

A waiter came and asked them what they wanted. Alex ordered brandy for both. "I'm going to need it," he said, "It's to be an eventful Season."

            "Have you been going to Almack's?" asked Andrew

            "Of course I have," said Alex, "While you have been hiding up in Inverness I was been the dutiful older brother to Gertrude and accompanying her to Almack's for husband-hunting."

            "I wasn't hiding in Inverness. I was busy managing the estate. I only came into my title six months ago." He sighed, "Now I have obliged Marielle and the Florals to the Season."

            "Ah. The illustrious Marquess of Albans," Alex chuckled, "Hoping to marry them off?"

            "Camellia and Daisy, perhaps," said Andrew said. He gave a thoughtful look to Alex and said, "She still pins for you, y'know. Daisy, I mean."

            Alex looked at him warily, his body language giving the sign that he was uncomfortable. "Well. I hope you haven't encouraged her, because I haven't."

            Andrew smiled, mostly to himself. Of course, while he knew that Daisy had a fancy towards Alex for years, it was clear that Alex did not feel the same way. Andrew wondered if this was due to the fact that Alex didn't want to destroy their friendship because of it. Andrew had to applaud Alex for being cautious.

            "Do I have to? Surely, she does not turn you off. She is a beauty," Andrew teased.

            "All your sisters are beautiful," replied Alex, "There is no reason to single Daisy out."

            "I wasn't," said Andrew.

            The waiter came and placed two cups and a bottle of brandy on the table between them. Alex grabbed for the bottle, uncorked it, and poured the liquor into his cup. After pouring some for Andrew, he set the bottle down and raised his glass. "My God help us both, this year."

            Andrew chuckled, "My God indeed."

            "Cheers," was the reply, and both men clinked their cups, and drank to the uneventful morning.

Isabelle had meant it true when she told Anne the day before that she would think of something to thwart her uncle's scheme. And she had decided that that would make a deal to His Grace today. She would comprise. As she exited the grand library on the main floor, she made her way towards his study and prayed that he would not turn her away. She took a deep breath, and knocked and the door.

            "Yes?" was Uncle Harold's reply.

            Isabelle opened the door, and made her way inside before closing the door.
Sitting behind her desk, glasses perched on his nose, Uncle Harold blinked and his mouth thinned. In another life, they would have been close, but that was not possible, as Uncle Harold seemed to loathe her.

            "Miss Grayson," said Uncle Harold, "What matter of service can I be of you?"

            Isabelle winced. Just once, just once, he couldn't bother addressing her by her given name. What crime was it to him to not address her as Isabelle? Did he hate her that much?

            "I apologize if I'm disturbing you, uncle," said Isabelle, "But I would like to make a proposition."

            Uncle Harold raised a black eyebrow, "And what is that?"

            "I have made a determination to find a husband this year. As you seemed to have it in your head to have me married to His Grace. That will not do."

            "What are you proposing, Miss Grayson?" Uncle Harold demanded.

Isabelle pursed her lips, squared her shoulders and looked at her uncle in the eye, and said, "What I'm proposing is, if I don't get marriage by the end of this season, rather than marry Ryun, I will pay your debts."

            Uncle Harold's face clear in astonishment, and asked, "And if you do?"

            "If I do get married?" Isabelle asked, "You will need to find a way to pay the debt yourself."

            "And how are you going to get married? You don't even have a fiancé," said Uncle Harold

            Isabelle was offended, "I do so."

            "Oh, really? What is your fiancé's name, may I inquire?"

            Isabelle didn't realize her words, until it was too late, and it did slip out of her mouth, as she said, "Andrew McFarland, Marquess of Albans."

            Uncle Harold looked at her and said, "Does Lord Albans know about the engagement?"

            Isabelle spluttered, "Of course."

             "Why hasn't he been to London?"

            "He has been held up in Inverness. His father died and he has only came into his title."

            "Then surely we can write to the scandal sheets that the daughter of Benedict Grayson has gotten engaged to the Marquess of Albans."

            Isabelle stilled. "No. Lord Albans must know first. I will not tolerable being in the scandal sheets without him knowing."

            Isabelle then turned and feeling panicked, thought to herself, what had I done? What have I done? What have I done?