Cody Simpson? My EX Best Friend

Start from the beginning

- - -

"Thank you so much for having us over, Angie. The food was delicious!" My mom thanked, squeezing Naomi and I's shoulder.

"It was our pleasure." Angie put her hand on Cody's shoulder.

Cody shook his head no.

I rolled my eyes.

"Back to kindergarten, kids. Clean up time!" Angie chirped.

Alli gave me pleading eyes.

I sighed. "If it's okay with you, Mrs. Simpson, I was wondering if I could stay and help?"

Angie put her hand on her heart and smiled. "That would be so nice, Angel. An extra hand is always welcomed."

I liked being Cody's Angel better.

Naomi made her way out of my mom's embrace and held up her small fingers.

"Do you have room for twenty?" Naomi asked sweetly.

Angie smiled and put her hand around Naomi's shoulder, leading her inside the kitchen.

I followed Alli into her backyard and picked up a broom.

She turned on the radio her parents brought outside and blasted "Stereo Hearts" by Gym Class Heroes ft. Adam Levigne.

"My heart's a stereo,

It beats for you so listen close.

Hear my thoughts in every note.

Oh, oh!" Alli sang.

"Make me your radio,

And turn me up when you feel low.

This melody was meant for you.

So sing along to my stereo!"

I sweeped some confetti and balloon strings while Alli picked them up. Once the floor was clear, we wiped down the tables and took it apart.

Cody stacked up the chairs and brought them into the shed.

Christian followed Cody inside, carrying pieces of the table.

When Christian and Cody came back, all four of us were going to bring the grill inside.

"Wait, wait!" Alli flailed her arms around.

"What?" Christian asked.

Alli opened the grill and took another stick of shish kabob. She ignored our stares and continued eating.

"Any day now, Alli." Cody sighed.

"Don't rush me when it comes to food." She snapped.

When Alli threw out her stick, I took out a hot dog and put it inside a bun. I poured relish and mustard over it, then took slow bites.

"Are you finished yet?" Cody asked, irritated.

I walked toward him and grinned. I pulled back his shirt and dropped my hot dog down his shirt. "All done."

Cody jumped back and the hot dog slid down, staining his red shirt.

I clapped my hands. "I never liked hot dogs that much." I shrugged.

Cody took out a hamburger pattie and made a smiley face out of ketchup on it.

He walked toward me and I backed up in front of a tree.

"Do you like hamburgers?" He asked, dropping the burger full of ketchup inside my jacket.

I gasped and bent down, throwing a half-eaten piece of baby corn at Cody.