Meeting Kate

It was my first day of work at these new offices and I promised myself that I would try to make it work out. Little did I know what a surprise I had in store.

Going up the stairs to my new office with one of the secretaries, I could see a young woman kneeling, picking up some paper that had slipped from the sheaf in her hand .

It was an amazing sight. Her slim body gave me a hint of swan-like gracefulness, jeans tight over her curved backside. I stared at her, not wanting to break what seemed like a magic spell.

‘Ah… Katie, here’s your new quality technician. His name’s Jake. I’m sure you’ll get along fine.’

And with that short intro I was left staring as the woman continued picking her work from the floor. I knelt down beside her to give her a hand. I got a first glimpse of her face and I swear I nearly died. She wasn’t what you would call beautiful, but her visage was like that of something I could not define. She had a narrow face, with a large mouth and a bony nose… But her eyes were these huge almonds, framed by dirty-blond hair.

Her face lit up in a sunny smile, ‘Welcome… I’m Katie. We’ll be sharing an office.’

‘Are you an angel?’ I blurted out before I could control myself.

‘Excuse me?’

‘Sorry, I thought you were someone I already knew. I’m Jake by the way.’ I said as I offered my hand.

Her touch was nice and soft, but she had a firm handshake, which boded well. I followed her to our office. It wasn’t big by any standard, barely enough to hold a couple of desks, but the views from the windows were something out of a dream. The countryside spread beneath us in glorious shades of green and gold.

‘Lovely isn’t it?’ the girl said in hushed tones. It was indeed a gorgeous sight, but what I really had in mind and looking at, was not the view but the girl herself.

‘Yeah. It’s…truly beautiful’, I replied, with embarrassment clearly etched on my face.

We really got on well together, and after some time began to get friendlier with one another. She was single, surprisingly, and not really looking for romance. We would see about that, I thought.

By the time the break had arrived I was itching for a cigarette, but all thought was swept away as Katie got up, turned her back to me and pulled her sweater over her head in one quick swoop.

Once she looked back I stared at her small chest, ensconced in a training bra. “Had a good look?” she asked with a smile.

“Uh. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to stare. You just took me by surprise there. Are you feeling hot?”

“No you ninny, I’m off for a run during the hour break.” she replied.

“Oh that’s good. I might come and keep you company tomorrow.” I told her, reminding myself that i had not seen a track in 5 years, let alone run. She bid me goodbye and skipped nimbly out of the office.

She returned in forty minutes, all sweaty and flushed.

“I simply got to have a shower now. Back in five minutes . She was as good as her word and returned quite quickly .

“Would you mind if I come with you tomorrow?” I asked.

“No, not at all. It will be nice to have somebody to talk to.”

We left it at that since there was so much for me to learn. That evening I was looking for my old running shoes in the closet, remembering the feeling of being alive that only comes from a good run.