Room on the Top Floor

Two girls were driving along a desert road at 11pm when their car broke down. The older of the two jumped out and kicked the car in anger before beckoning for her friend to follow in search of help. Twenty minutes later, they spotted a hotel. The two girls decided that a comfy night would be better than a night involving standing outside next to their car, watching a random person fix it. They strolled into the hotel and up to the front desk. The older of the two cleared her throat and when the receptionist looked up she began to talk. "We need a room for the night," she said bluntly. The receptionist clicked a few things on the computer before turning to the girls. "We have only one room to spare. It's on the top floor." The girls nodded. "But I must warn you, it's rumoured to be haunted." The girls shrugged. They had spent their whole lives watching horror movies and the likelyhood of it actually being haunted was small. 

The girls stumbled into their hotel room exhausted and collapsed on their beds. They immediately began to doze off when they heard a childish, almost happy voice speak. "When the log tips over I will drown..." Both of the girls sat bolt upright and turned on the lights. Silence. They turned the lights off again and closed there eyes, but again the voice spoke, this time louder. "When the log tips over I will drown..." The younger of the two jumped out of bed and sprinted for the door leading to the corridor outside, but she had misplace the keys. The voice was insistent now. "When the log tips over I will drown... When the log tips over I will drown..." The two girls went crazy out of their minds. They ran straight through the glass door leading to the balcony and peered over the edge. They both looked at each other hesitently. Was jumping really a good idea? The voice made their decision for them. "When the log tips over I will drown..." They jumped. 

The next night the hotel was already back in business and pretended it had never happened. A man was driving down the same desert road with only one headlight on as the other had been smashed. He was a good driver, but he didn't see the girls' car still parked in the middle of the lane and he smashed into it. His car destroyed, he swore loudly and trudged in the direction of the hotel. When he walked up to the reception desk the same receptionist was there to greet him. "I need a room." The receptionist, once again, clicked some things on the computer.

"We have just one room available. It's on the top floor, but I must warn you, it's haunted." The man smiled. "I don't believe in ghosts." The receptionist reluctantly gave him the keys to the top floor room.

The man  sat down on one of the beds in his room and scratched his head. "When the log tips over I will drown..." The man laughed nervously.

"What a stupid practical joke!" He yelled at nobody in particular. "You could lose business for this sort of thing you know?" But the voice continuted in its cheery tone.

"When the log tips over I will drown..." The man was suddenly very scared.

"I don't believe in ghosts!" He screamed, running for the door. He pulled the room keys out of his pocket and jammed them into the door. When he had unlocked it, he sprinted towards the stairs leading to the lower floor, the voice following him. "When the log tips over I will drown..." In pitch black darkness, the man tripped over himself and fell down the huge flight of stairs, breaking his neck.

This time news spread and the hotel was practically empty. A young man jumped out of the taxi and stared at the hotel. His hobby was ghost hunting and news had got to him quickly about this hotel being haunted. He walked inside to find the receptionist snoring. "Excuse me," he said loudly. The receptionist woke with a start, but regained his posture quickly. "Hello, would you like a room for the night?" The young man nodded. The receptionist clicked a few things on his computer and returned his gaze to the young man before him. "There is a room just down this corridor that you can stay in." The young man shook his head.

"I want the room on the top floor."

"But it's-"

"Haunted, I know. That's why I'm here." The ghost hunter held out his hand. "Key please." The receptionist handed over the key with an exasperated sigh, readying himself for the news of this young man's death in the next few hours.

The young man opened the door to the room on the top floor and looked around. There was nothing that suggested ghost activity. He let out a disappointed sigh. What a waist of time. Then he heard the sing-songy voice. "When the log tips over I will drown..." The man's eyes lit up. A ghost at last! He moved towards the source of the voice. "When the log tips over I will drown..." He was excited now and he began running for the bathroom door and the source of the voice.

He kicked open the door and looked around, but the room was empty. He stood there, baffled, when the voice spoke again. "When the log tips over I will drown..." He walked over to the toilet and peered into the bowl. There, sitting on a brown poo, was an ant. "When the log tips over I will drown..."