I’m sorry Jack . . . I whispered. I should’ve visited you or something mate; to make sure you were okay. Hearing your voice over the phone isn’t the same. I love you Jack, please look down at us not up at us. Don’t worry, you’ll get your funeral; a beautiful one at that yunno with the flowers and a priest? Hey, while you’re up there . . . say ‘hi’ to mom for me please? I gotta go now Jack, I’m gonna call the police and all with be fine. I’ll see you soon . . . I kissed his forehead and rocked his body back and forth, ‘til I ran out of tears to cry.

Hours later, I called the police. I told them what I knew and rushed to get over here. I was promised an investigation by two policemen but knowing the system, I’m not going to get any answers. I was offered a ride home, so I took it. But I felt as if I’m forgetting something or someone.

Marceline! I gasped out loud. I dialed her number but it sent me straight to voicemail. I didn’t tell the police about Marceline, any sign of the cops around the people who have her will kill her.

Once I got home, I ran to my room and laid on my bed; thinking of how I was going to save Marceline. Unexpectedly, I fell asleep . . .

---- Next Day ----

Marceline’s P O V

I woke up to the smell of pancakes. I remembered the events that happened yesterday but not much though. I got out of bed and walked down the steps, to the kitchen. I saw a man cooking breakfast for two. As weird as this sound, I feel safe around him.

*clears throat* Good morning Sir I said deadly.

“Ahh, good morning Marceline. Look, about yesterday I-”

Thank you I said nodding slightly.

“You don’t have to thank me. I’m just glad you’re safe” he gave me a warm smile.

Why did you help me & why did you look at me like that when we were in the shop? What did you do to Jack? I asked.

“Look, I know you have tons of questions and I’ll gladly help you out. Please, let’s talk as we eat some breakfast” he smirked kindly.

I nodded unsure of the thought and sat down.

“Okay, let me answer your first question. I helped you because you reminded me so much of my daughter; Darlene. She looked just like you and she was really sweet and kind” he stopped himself.

What happened to her, if you don’t mind me asking?

“A few men were ordered to kidnap her, rape her and leave her for dead in a boat by a harbor. Ever since then, I couldn’t live my life without getting my revenge on the son of a bitch who killed my baby” he gripped his fork.

I’m truly sorry . . . ?

“Dave, my name is Dave” he half-smiled. “She was a girl with a lot of ambitions to study and to have a bright future. We had a close father-daughter relationship. Her mother left me because I was so obsessed with my daughter’s death that I didn’t even give any attention to her. When my Darlene died, a part of me also died. I felt empty inside. She had these big eyes, just like yours; except they weren’t different colors. They were blue. The last time I was with her, she was sick. She had the flu and when I saw you in the shop; you had the same facial expression as Darlene did, the last time I saw her. When I saw you, I wanted to hug you and rescue you but I couldn’t do it at that time because I knew Jack would kill me” he sniffled.

I’m truly sorry Dave. I’m sure whoever killed your beloved daughter has paid the consequences. I’m not sick either; I’m just going through something. I know I’ll get over it, I just need time. I touched his hand gently, causing him to loosen his grip on his fork.

“No, I’m sorry for everything Marceline; I really am” he wiped a few tears away.

“Oh they did, last night” he sneered.

What do you mean?

“Now to answer your last question, I shot Jack last night”

I nearly choked on my drink.

Why?

“He was the reason why Darlene died. He’s a player, Darlene was the innocent prey. Jack always made the ladies fall for him and once they did; he’d dump them or simply do something to them that’ll make them hate him. Darlene was different, he cheated on her and so she left him. He didn’t like that idea because he was always the one that breaks up with girls; girls don’t break up with him. He begged for forgiveness and she didn’t buy it, so one day he sent a few of his ‘boys’ to kidnap her. I found out that he forced her to have sex with the guys who kidnapped her; that made my blood boil inside. Then once he was finished with her, he left her body in a boat to freeze to death. She was only seventeen when this happened” he took a bite of his bagel.

I sat there, thinking about everything me and Jack had gone through. He really is a crazy bastard.

Dave, I didn’t know, I’m sorry. . . I uttered.

He nodded. “Once I found out it was him, I kept my cool. I wanted him to suffer at most. When I saw that you were his new prey, I kept an eye out on you. That’s when I realized you were just like Darlene. From that day on, I declared myself to be more of a shadowed ‘father’ figure to you. As time passed by, I noticed you two weren’t together; that’s when I moved in closer. I saw him breaking down and cracking, just how I wanted him to be. Long story short, I offered to be a ‘bodyguard’ for Jack, he accepted and well . . . yesterday happened. But nothing is your fault Marceline, it’s his”

You are a true hero Dave; I respect you for that. But there were two of you, where’s the other one?

“I shot him as well; he also raped my baby girl”

Thank you Dave, just . . . thank you. I looked down.

“Do you need a place to stay or are you alright where you are?” he asked.

I don’t want to be a bother Dave, you’ve done enough.

“I don’t mind, I have a guest room if you’re interested” he smiled.

Well . . . sure I wouldn’t mind. Plus, I just need to get away from it all yunno? I start school in a few days so I wanna start school with a clean state of mind I replied.

“Hey Marceline, why don’t you smile anymore?” he asked worriedly.

I haven’t even touched my breakfast. I’m not really hungry but I’ll have to force myself to eat; I don’t wanna be rude.

Oh, it’s a long story I shrugged.

“Well we have time, after all . . . this is your new home now” he chuckled.

I nodded and well, told him everything about EVERYTHING. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: HAPPY BIRTHDAY @CHEESIE7895! SHE'S REALLY COOL AND FUN TO TALK TO! AS PROMISED I TOLD YOU I WOULD UPDATE ESPECIALLY FOR YOU, SINCE IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY! HAVE FUN AND I HOPE YOU RIP YOU ENTIRE HEAD! :B