Chapter Two - Brandon

Brandon's Point of View

I slowly opened my eyes and my first thought was pain. My whole body hurt. It hurt to breathe. Everything started to come back to me. Texting my brother Mike at the red light. The truck coming towards me and hitting me and my beautiful car. Then her....
My chest ached thinking about her. At first I thought she wasn't real, for one she wasn't wearing a shirt, and two she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. I had seen a lot of woman, a lot, but none as captivating as this woman. I didn't even know her name.

Like a sign my thoughts were interrupted by the sweetest voice.

"Hey there. You're finally awake" she was wearing a huge oversized t-shirt that one of the policeman must have given her because it said 'Saskatoon Police Department' on it. Her hair was in a messy ponytail and she had some dirt on her cheek, but she looked radiant.

"Hi" I replied shyly. What the hell. I didn't get shy. "Have I been out long?"

"A few hours, how are you feeling?" The look of concern on her face pleased me to no end.

"Like I was hit by a truck" I lamely joked. I couldn't believe how lame i sounded. I could get any woman I wanted without effort, and here I was acting like a lovesick teenager.

"Ya, you're very lucky to be alive" she stated.

"I have you to thank for that."

She blushed "Um you're welcome."

"What's your name?" I asked, dying up know anything about her.

"'My name is Alex."

"Well Alex, nice to meet you, I'm Brandon" I flashed her one of my heart melting smiles and if it affected her she didn't show it, which saddened me but I tried not to show it. "I'd shake your hand but..." I gestured to my blue cast on my wrist.

"Well maybe I'll sign it then" she said.

"I'd like that" I gushed. Oh get it together, she's just a chick. I'm coughing it up to the pain meds.

She rummaged in her bag and pulled out a sharpie. She came closer and I felt my heart beat faster. I wondered if she noticed. She took my cast very gently in her hands and then pondered what to write. She wrote for a few moments taking up a chunk of space, but I didn't mind. In fact I hoped she was writing her phone number. When she was finished I read what it said: 'The world breaks everyone, and afterword, some are strong at broken places.'

I looked at her slightly confused.

"It's Ernest Hemingway" she shrugged "I work at a used book store, and I read a lot" she explained.

"I'm not sure I get it."

"You will" she said.

I was about to press the issue, but we were interrupted by my parents and my brother barging in. My mother was crying and she rushed right over and hugged me crushing me and making me wince in pain.

"Mom, that hurts" I pleaded.

"Oh I'm sorry honey" she sobbed "I'm just so glad you're alright" she turned to Alex who looked scared to death.

"This must be the young woman that saved my baby's life. Thank you so much!" She started to reach for her to hug her and Alex flinched, as if she thought my mother would hit her. My Mom instantly retreated and pretended nothing happened. My mom was sweet like that.

"We owe you. Anything you want sweetie" she beamed at Alex

"Yes we are lucky that you were around to help. Thank you.." my dad told her, but thankfully made no effort towards her.

My brother didn't say anything, but winked at me.

"Oh that's not necessary. I was glad to help. And you are more than welcome." She was shaking. Oh I wondered what had happened to my angel. What the hell? She wasn't mine, must be the pain meds.

Just then the doctor came in. "I see your awake. I'm Dr. Rebecca Rickshaw. Let's clear this room out, so I can examine you closer." She smiled at me. She was a pretty young doctor, and usually this would peak my interest and I would turn on the charm, but I wasn't interested. Which was so unlike me. I glanced at Alex who seemed to be glaring at the doctor. Could have been wishful thinking because so far this girl gave no indication she was interested in me.

"I'm not leaving, I'm his mother" I knew this would be a fight. The doctor and my parents were discussing... well who knows what, I was concentrating on Alex. She mouthed Bye and snuck out the door. I couldn't even protest because as soon as she was gone my mother starting doting on me. The doctor finally gave up and starting speaking to me.

"Mr. Phillips, you have two broken ribs and a broken wrist. You also suffered a concussion and a laceration on your neck caused by broken glass. We need to keep your here for a few days to monitor your concussion and make sure you are healing properly" she winked at me.

I felt disgusted. I wanted to argue but one look from my mother told me I wasn't going to win. I sighed.

"Okay then." I really didn't want to stay. But maybe Alex would come back when it wasn't so hectic. The doctor thankfully left.

"Where did the young lady go?" My mother asked glancing around the room.

"I think she doesn't like lots of people. And her name is Alex"

My brother chose this time I finally pipe up "well she was hot as hell"

"Michael!" My mother gasped.

"Well it's true. And that doctor wasn't so bad either." He added with a laugh.

"Well go after the Doctor then, she looks your type, but leave Alex alone." I said sternly. I immediately regretted it. All three of them starred at me like I grew a second head.

"Oo sensitive. I think I'll ask her for her number." He snickered.

"You go near her and you're fired." I don't know why I was getting so protective. I saw a vulnerability in her and I couldn't let Mike take advantage of her. I know I didn't have the best reputation with women, as in I didn't have a girlfriend for an extended period of time, but Mike was worse. He would charm them home and then kick them out in the morning.

"I was just teasing bro, don't have to go all big boss man on me" he laughed "seriously though, I'm glad you're okay, I may have missed you a bit" he added.

I was relieved and slightly touched. The Phillips men were not known for sharing their feelings. I was also happy he was joking, because Alex was special and deserved better than Mike. She deserved better than me. I can't believe I just admitted that. I really wouldn't have fired Mike, but I would be close. I am the CEO for a company my dad built called Sun Ridge Inc. We designed and built homes in an energy efficient way. My dad retired two years ago and appointed me CEO. Mike and I were architects, Mike was one year older than me so initially my dad wanted him to take over, but Mike did not want the responsibility, so instead he's still an architect with the company and I was the CEO. I loved everything about it. I loved the power and of course the money, but I also loved the responsibility, and I was good at my job.

"Thanks bro" I finally said.

"What do you know about that young lady?" My Dad asked me. Which shocked me because Dad never got involved in our personal lives. Mom did that enough for the both of them. Then again he could just be curious about the woman who saved me. I must admit I was curious too.

"Not much really. Her name is Alex and she works at a used book store. Other than that I don't know anything." But I wish I knew more.

"Someone hurt her" he stated. "Don't mess this up son."

My mother and brother looked at him in shock. They might have said something to him, but my eyes were getting so heavy I couldn't keep them open any longer. I barely heard my mother say goodbye and kiss my forehead and I was out. Dreaming about a beautiful blonde and her dragon tattoo burning me, but I liked it.