Prologue

Prologue

My arrow embedded itself into the centre of the target. Cheers resounded all around me, but I barely noticed as I was swept off my feet and onto someone’s shoulders, hoisting me up so the crowd could have a better look at me. Every week was the same. The sounds died down to a hushed murmur as a single wreath of flowers from the evergreen was brought before me. I was put back on my feet, and the wreath was lowered down towards my head.

The people held their breath as a ten year old girl with long brown hair and beautiful green eyes was crowned the winner.

With a roar, the noise was back again, deafening at a close proximity. All I could do was fake a smile, and graciously accept the winnings of ten crowns that were placed in my palm. I wrapped my fingers around the coins, and marvelled at their cool touch. This is what was going to buy my family and me meals for a week. And if luck was on our side, we wouldn’t have to go hungry before the next weekly tournament. I took the wreath off and placed it into my satchel, along with my arrows. It was useful for healing, and knowing my family, there were going to be a lot of cuts and sores in the coming week.

Just like every other week.

A gangly boy of about 12 approached me tentatively. He smiled nervously and opened his mouth to speak.

“Are you Lily?” I smiled in reply. His face seemed to light up.

“Can I speak to you in private?” His eyes darted cautiously around, seizing up the crowd. I nodded and slung my bow across my back as I followed him to a small oak behind the targets. Once hidden from any nosey spectators, he turned to me.

“My name is Brent,” he stuttered nervously, and I took pity on the older, but clearly more nervous boy.

“How can I help you, Brent?” My voice was soft, and I gave him an encouraging look.

“I uh, am having a little difficulty um, keeping-me-and-my-family-fed.” He mumbled out the last part, so that it was more like one word than a whole sentence.

“Pardon?”

“My family is starving.” The abrupt comment caught me off guard, and I took the time to scrutinise him. He had unkempt dirty blond hair which hung over his hazel eyes and his thin frame and ragged clothes suggested poor maintenance on his behalf. I grimaced and looked down at my coins, which I still held tightly in my hand. With a sigh, I decided to give him the extra crowns that I was planning to give to the villagers by the river. That could wait. What couldn’t wait, however, were the poor boy and his family.

“How many in your family?” I enquired politely.

“Six,” His reply was short as he stared down at his feet. Shoot. That was all my spare coins.

“Hold out your hand.” I commanded after a slight pause. He complied hesitantly, unsure of why I was asking him to do so.

I dropped six coins into his hand, one by one, and watched as his eyes grew wide.

I chuckled.

“Courtesy of Lee Flynn.”

And that was the start of it all.

~ ~ ~

My first story on wattpad :) hope you like it.....sorry its so short

stargazerx