episode i, scene i: the runaways

Start from the beginning

She heard her stomach grumble loudly and she looked down at herself, pressing on it with the palm of her hand to see if she could make it stop. She hadn't eaten in days.

She had no energy to move. 

Through the blonde curtain of her hair, she saw a dark shadow turn the corner that lead into the alley and then she saw the person who the shadow belonged to. She got a sense of fear beginning to grow in the pit of her stomach when she realized a pair of yellow colored eyes watching her. The shadow grinned upon seeing her, sending shivers down her spine. She felt a bad feeling that was now firm in her stomach and it told her to run away. As the person got closer and closer to her, she used the force to give him the notion that he should ignore her, that he should turn around and keep walking past the alley. But it didn't work because he didn't turn to leave. 

It was another thing she knew about herself, but this one was something she had learned over the years. The force was with her, and she knew that if she would have had a family, she may have grown up to become a Jedi. Belén remembered seeing the Jedi temple in the distance. It was a building standing tall and proud in Coruscant, easily visible from any part of the city. Belén had imagined on various occasions what her life would have been like if she had been taken there, to the temple, to join the Jedi order. She would have friends, a family, people who would actually love and accept her. 

The Jedi were also people she looked up to. They had been blessed with the powers of the force, and they had been protecting the galaxies for centuries.

But then there was the Sith. The Sith were an organization of former Jedi who had chosen the path of selfishness and turned evil because of it. Belén had never felt the presence of a Sith before, but it wasn't a pleasant feeling and she imagined it had everything to do with the dark shadow that was approaching her.

The person--or being--was clad in black from head to toe, the only contrast with that darkness was a glowing yellow of his eyes. He paused for a moment and said into a holonet communicator on his wrist, "I found the girl, my lord." His voice was low and menacing, but full of respect towards whoever he was talking to. Belén furrowed her eyebrows together in confusion. Why would anyone be looking for me? She thought to herself, taken by surprise at the shadow's words. She had always thought herself as nothing special--a nobody. But now someone was looking for her. That must have made her important somehow.

Confused, she watched him continue to inch closer to her, his boots splashing around the rain water as they touched the ground. She got back up on her feet to run away, but she felt a strong force throw her against a brick wall, further into the alley. She was cornered, with nowhere to run and the panic rising in her made it even harder to think straight. She hit the cold wall harshly and fell to the floor with a thud, wriggling around in pain. Her hands went immediately to rub a sore spot on her body.

"What do you want from me?" She asked him through gritted teeth, looking up at him with masked bravery. But in reality she was terrified.

He said nothing and continued walking in her direction. Belén got on her feet as quickly as she could, and while still placing a hand against the pain on her shoulder, she used the other to push him back with the Force. But she knew she was too weak to fight him and that she wouldn't be able to hold him off for too long. He smirked at her, knowing her defeated, and pulled the hood of his black cloak down to finally  reveal himself to her. He was a horrid faced monster with blistering red skin, lips as black as the night sky above, large black horns bulging out of his forehead, and a thick prominent bears on his chin. He pulled a device from the inside of his cloak and she heard a whooshing sound followed by a silent humming that accompanied a bright red light.