06. The Babe Game

Start from the beginning

"Anyway," I start, dropping lazily onto the couch, "when do you go back on tour?"

"A little under three months." He says, and then there is some talking in the background. I hear my name muttered before Niall is talking to someone off the phone. "Shut up, Zayn. Let me be."

"I'm trying to help you, Niall." I hear the familiar voice of Zayn in the background.

"I can help myself." Niall mutters, and the conversation is finished. "Sorry." Niall says to me.

"It's fine. Do you want to come over?"

"Sure. Zayn's being a little brat anyway. I'll be over in ten."

"Ok, see you then."

"Bye."

I hang up my phone and throw it on the couch beside me. Tamara emerges from the kitchen with a bottle of coke under her arm, two bowls of popcorn and a packet of skittles placed on top.

 "Niall will be here in ten minutes." I tell her as she places the food onto the coffee table.

Her eyes widen and she looks down at herself before looking up at me. My eyes widen too, and we simultaneously jump into action. We run up the stairs and go our separate ways into our bedrooms. I run into my bathroom and check myself in the mirror.

There are bags under my eyes and my cheeks are flushed red, so I just add a little bit of concealer under my eyes and some mascara. I mean, I'm not a fake, so Niall will still get to see me naturally. I just hope he doesn't recognize me without makeup on.

I neaten my bun up a little and go back into my room. Stripping out of my pyjama's, I quickly apply some deodorant and body mist before opening my wardrobe. I decide on black leggings, a black tank top and a dark green sweater. I leave my socks on my feet and check myself over in the mirror.

Sure, it's not fancy or anything, but that's not I was going for. I just don't think I'm ready for Niall to, once again, see the lazy side of me. It's unattractive and I don't understand how he put up with it before.

The doorbell rings and I check the time. He's two minutes early. 

When I leave my room and go downstairs, Tamara is already opening the door. I don't understand how she can get dressed in jeans, a white tank top, a pink cropped top with the word 'PUNK' across it, and a black leather jacket faster than I can get dressed in what I'm in. She's like the female version of superman.

"Hey Niall!" Tamara greets him kindly, opening the door for him to enter. "Excuse the mess.

"I tour with four other boys: I think I can handle your girly mess." Niall says sassily. I chuckle and jump down the last three steps, walking over to stand next to Tamara. 

"Hi Niall." I say shyly. No matter how many times I have previously greeted Niall and most recently, I am still shy to even say hello to him.

He shoots me a toothy grin, leaning down to kiss my cheek. "Hello, love."

The heat rises in my cheeks. I grab his wrist and drag him into the lounge room, Tamara following behind us with a roll of her eyes. I sit down and pull Niall down next to me. He observes the room, shrugging at the mess.

Tamara sits on the coffee table, staring between Niall and I. I shoot her a confused glance, but she just shrugs and takes a swig of the coke.

"Ew, don't drink it from the bottle!" I exclaim, slapping her leg. "Niall might want some."

Niall also shrugs and snatches the bottle from Tamara's lips. He puts it to his own lips and gulps down the brown liquid.

I scrunch my nose up in disgust. "You technically just kissed her."