Chapter 1

Sleeping peacefully beside him, Mike laid in the hospital bed watching her. Bruises covered her arms and face, along with the rest of her body that was covered with a blanket.

His heart was broken, shattered. He couldn't even begin to imagine what his wife had been through, and he had absolutely no idea how to get her through this.

She seemed so peaceful. Her blonde locks had fallen over her face, covering the cut across her forehead. There were fresh wet tears on her face and his t-shirt, but he didn't mind. She was still gripping his shirt, cuddled up as close as she could to his body.

Mike held her tight, he never wanted to let her out of his arms again. He couldn't help but blame himself for what happened although it was in no way his fault.

He should have gone with her instead of staying home to watch the game. If he would have, none of this ever would have happened.

A nurse entered the room, about to speak when she noticed Carrie asleep and Mike holding a finger against his lips.

"Whenever she wakes up, just give us a call and we'll come in and discharge her." She whispered, quietly shutting the door behind her as she left.

As much as he wanted to go home, he was afraid to wake her from her peaceful sleep.

30 minutes had passed and Mike continued to watch his wife, his brain spinning with questions and ideas.

She finally started to move, barely opening her eyes before she jumped. Her eyes filled with tears and her whole body started shaking.

"Hey, hey, shh, it's just me. You're okay, you're okay." Mike sat up, pulling his wife in for a hug.

Mike felt her grip his shirt, staining it with tears. It killed him to see her like this and not be able to do anything. All he could do was hold her and keep her safe.

"Hey, look at me." He said quietly. He lifted her chin up, looking deep into her hurting eyes. "It's okay. I promise"

"Are you ready to go home?" He asked softly, wiping a tear from her face.

She nodded, looking down at the floor.

Mike pressed the button on the side of the hospital bed, telling the nurse that Carrie was awake and they were ready to go.

Within a few minutes, a nurse had them filling out paperwork and was explaining further instructions.

"Your pain medicine and anxiety pills are in here, and put the cream on every morning and night. Don't hesitate to call us if you have any questions, other than that you are free to go home." The nurse smiled, handing Mike a small bag.

"Ready?"

She nodded again. Mike had only gotten her to say a few words today, but didn't try to push her.

A nurse rolled her out in a wheelchair while Mike went to get the car, bringing it up to the front doors.

"Thank you." Carrie mumbled quietly to the nurse, getting out of the wheelchair and slowly climbing into the car with Mike's help.

"Do you want to pick something up for dinner? Subway? Veggie burgers?" Mike broke the silence in the car.

"Subway would be good." Carrie whispered. She kept her eyes on the floor and her arms crossed tightly across her chest. 

Mike didn't reply. He turned the radio on, letting the quiet music fill the silence.

A single tear rolled down Carrie's cheek as they drove, but she didn't bother to wipe it off nor did Mike see it. She stared out the window blankly.

Mike didn't know what to say. He couldn't tell if she wanted to talk or if she'd rather just sit in silence, so he decided that if she wanted to speak, she would.

He pulled into the drive through at Subway and glanced at Carrie. "do you want your usual?"

"Yes please." 

Mike ordered, then waited in silence for them to give him their food. He pulled out and they drove the rest of the way home in more silence.

I Got the Boy by Jana Kramer played quietly in the background. It was one of Carrie's favorite songs, so Mike turned it up just a tad bit but she didn't seem to notice.

He pulled into their driveway fifteen minutes later, sighing softly as he put the car into park.

Mike came around and opened Carrie's door, helping her out slowly. She flinched as she stepped out, biting her lip from the pain that ran through her body.

Carrie was happy to finally be back in her home, the only place she'd always felt safe.

Although now, she wasn't sure she'd ever feel safe, or if it would ever even feel like home again.