"Y/N, it's been forever! Since what, last summer?" He hugged me from the side. His hair was so completely fabulous that I was jealous. It blew in the wind just so. 

"Whatcha doin' here?" He asked. I wasn't allowed to say why, so I told a little white lie.

"Had to drop off some things to Hatori from Shigure. Now Momiji wants to show me the garden." I gazed out into the huge rock garden. There were little patterns in the dirt, and a little stream flew through, with a wooden bridge built over it. There were well kept trees all over, and a very big cherry blossom tree in the middle. It was gorgeous.

"Yes, it's very pretty, isn't it? I spend my days off here." Ayame mentioned. I lost all sense of time, gazing into the beautiful garden. Momiji gave me a piece of gum as he sat next to me on the bench. I looked down and saw he had a pile of candy in his lap.

"See, how nice is it? Aren't you glad to be here?" Momiji said proudly, chewing on some taffy. I nodded.

After a long time of resting on the bench and catching up with my zodiac friends, I realized how late it was getting. I had to get home soon. The four of them were already worried enough. As much as I hated tearing myself away from the garden, I didn't feel as if I should just abandon them completely. I felt as if I hadn't seen Kyo in a lifetime, a distant memory. Maybe it was just the soul mate thing, that we shouldn't be separated. I wonder what would happen if I left Kyo.

At that thought, I sighed and stood up.

"Are you leaving, Y/N?" Ayame asked. I smiled and nodded.

"It was awesome to get away, but I have work at home. See you later, both of you!" I began to walk away.

"Wait, Y/N, let me show you out! It's polite." Momiji jumped up, excited from the sugar high and began to lead me out as if I had never been here before. Very cute.

"Bye-bye!" He said, skipping away when we reached the gate.

It was colder than I expected out. Walking home, I tried to distract myself from the cold. I'm going to go home and have some tea. I'm going to take a hot shower. I'm going to cuddle in a blanket. I shivered. I was halfway home, so I started to jog. My breathing was steady and the sound and rhythm of my heartbeat almost calmed me a little bit. I see how people like to go running when they are sad. I prefer writing in a journal, but this was nice too.

I surprised myself by how long I could run, even at a slow pace. I remembered last year, I was first in doing the mile. Finally, I hit the driveway. As soon as I stopped running, I buckled over, resting my sweaty palms on my knees. I needed some water, so I walked right inside.

They were in the middle of dinner. It smelled really nice, but I started to tune in on what they were saying. I peeked around the corner into the dining room. They hadn't noticed my entrance yet, so I eavesdropped on their conversation.

It seemed as if the room was full of tension and awkwardness. My spot, next to Kyo's, had a plate, but it didn't have anything on it. Yet. The conversation was disjointed, and you could tell it was unpleasant.

"Yeah, but where did she go?" I heard Kyo ask irritably. He was frustrated, as always.

"Hatori called an hour ago, said she went to talk to him." Shigure informed them. Tohru made a 'hmm' sound.

"Did he say what they talked about?" Yuki's quiet but distinct voice made an appearance.

"No, he said it was confidential. I don't blame him." Shigure said, sipping his tea.

I decided to take a shower before I talked to them. It wasn't a long one, but it was needed. I was sweaty after my therapeutic exercise. I put my robe on and went to my room to change my clothes. Tohru had put clean pajama pants in my closet, so I pulled them on and buttoned up one of Kyo's shirts I had for a while. I would swap them out every so often to get the smell back.

I rapped on Kyo's door lightly with my knuckles.

"Eh?" He called out, unamused. He probably thought it was Yuki or Shigure there to bother him.

"Can I come in?" I said, in a little, high voice. There was a bunch of sounds as if he was getting up and crashing over to his door. He opened it and stared at me towel drying my hair.

"You're back, Y/N!" He threw me into a big bear hug and pulled me into his room, closing the door so we could be alone. "You've been gone forever."

"Just a day, Kyo." I corrected him. It made me feel safe to know someone missed me so much.

"No... a LOT longer than that." He insisted. We both sat on his bed, dangling our legs off the side like it was a couch. He wrapped his arms around me and laid his chin in my hair.

"Ugh, I forgot your hair was wet." He pulled his head away and wiped his chin off. I chuckled softly and closed my eyes, exhausted. It was that kind of exhausted, where parts of your body start twitching. One of my toes spasmed.

"Are you allowed to tell me what's wrong?" Kyo asked, quietly.

"Well, I don't know. I don't think so, but I'll tell you that I'm trying super, super hard to make everything okay again. Who knows, maybe I'll even succeed. Talking to Hatori was the right thing to do. He's smart. He's even gonna help me." I said, full of hope.

"You know,  for forever, I thought that it was impossible to do this. Breaking the curse and everything. If you actually can, that would be so... freakin' amazing, I don't even know, like..." Kyo said in disbelief. I wrapped my arms around him.

"Yeah." I breathed in slowly.

"It's hard to believe that no one has ever..." I began to say.

"Tried to do it before?" He filled in my sentence. "Yeah. I always thought that too. But we all thought it was just gonna be here, like, it's just part of our life and we have to deal with it, even though we never asked for it and we never did anything to deserve it and all."

"I feel kind of bad that I never tried to do anything until I became part of the problem. Kinda self-centered of me." I chuckled, but it wasn't because of humour.

"No, you just never knew what it was like. If anything, people would think it was like having a superpower. But the superpower prevents us from being close to anyone... Unless you're gay, I guess." He added. I giggled and buried my face in his chest. It was so nice to laugh again. It still didn't feel right, but I didn't think it would for a long time.

"I wouldn't have done anything either, if I had no idea. We're all just thankful that you are doing this now instead of never. I'm speaking for everyone, but we never wanted you to have to go through everything with the curse reaching you.."

"Of course you didn't. But at least I can help you guys now," I added, looking at him.

"Yeah. For that, we are never gonna be able to pay you back," He said, sounding out of character. I always noticed he seemed a little out of character when we were alone. I supposed it was just the real him coming out from behind a big wall of macho. He had no one to compete with or tease him, so he didn't need all his manly armor. It made me feel jubilant that he had someone to be 'Real Kyo' with. It was healthy for him.

I kissed his cheek a little bit, resting my head on his neck. I could feel him smile a little bit, inhale a little deeper.

"I love you."