Prologue [Full]

He had always wanted to go to the United States, but never once did he think that he would be going there for good, never going back to his homeland except for visits. Feeling jittery as he leaned back in his just-straightened airline seat, he thought back to what had landed him in this situation…

Two weeks earlier…

“Emilee! Chase! Family meeting now!” their mum hollered from the living room. Emilee, the younger and more responsible kid, came running from her room immediately while Chase, being the lazy pig of the family, strolled into the living room a few minutes later. Their mum shook her head at his laziness.

“Kids, your father and I are going to USA…”

“Again?!”

“Yes Emilee, again.” She continued, saying, “As I was saying, we’ll be going to USA to see Aunt Claire for our annual visit. Since I think y’all are old enough this year, instead of going to Grandma’s place you will be staying here. “

“Really?!” Two voices, one overly-excited high-pitched voice and one seemingly bored deep voice, were heard.

“Yes, we are letting the two of you stay at home while we are in USA. We will be leaving in two days time and we’ll come back next week. Until then, Chase, I trust you’ll take care of your sister and make sure nothing bad happens to her. Chase, give me your word that you will take care of your sister.” Their father said.

"But it's more likely Emilee will be the one taking care of me instead!"

Admist the laughter, there was a sense of dread in the air...

But little did they know, this would be their last time having a serious conversation as a family…

Two days later…

“Mum, Dad, I’ll miss you!” cried Emilee, sobbing into her Mum’s shoulder. Emilee and her Mum were like best friends, they told each other their secrets and when separated thought about the other constantly. For Chase, however, the relationship between him and his father was just a father-to-son relationship, not as close as the two women were.

“I’ll miss you too. I love you sweetie.”

“I love you too Mum.”

The two men tried their hardest to look elsewhere while this exchange was going on; already Chase’s face was starting to burn.

Addressing Chase, their Mum turned towards him and hugged him. “Take care of yourselves ok?” Releasing Chase, she continued, shaking her index finger in his direction. “And don’t get into any mischief while we’re gone, or else…” She left her threat hanging in the air as a flight attendant’s voice came over the PA system.

“All passengers on Flight 221 please make your way to gate 40, thank you.”

On hearing this, their parents picked up their carry-on bags and hugged their children one last time.

“We love you kids and we’ll miss you, see you soon!”

It wouldn’t be till the next week before they realised these words would be their parents’ final words to them for the rest of their lives…

Present

Shaking his head, he didn’t want to think about what happened next, but still, his mind wandered back to when the dreadful news was sprung on them…

The previous week…

“What is taking the plane so long? They should have landed two hours ago!” Exasperated, Emilee threw her hands into the air.

Chase and Emilee were at the airport, on a Saturday night, waiting for their parents’ plane to touchdown. But over the many times that they had checked the ‘Arrivals’ board, there was no change to the status of their parents’ flight: ‘Delayed’.

Chase, who was feeling as exasperated as Emilee, got up and started pacing around the bench. He could not shake off a feeling of premonition as he thought of the delayed flight arrival. He had heard of flights delayed for 10 hours, yet the occupants were still fine, but Chase couldn't help but have a bad feeling that something bad had happened on the flight.

Deciding to see what the status of the flight was, he took a look at the 'Arrivals' screen. Every other flight had arrived-except for their parents' flight. In desperation, he headed over to the flight counter to ask the woman manning the desk for an update.

"Excuse me, can you give me an update on the status of flight 760?" Chase asked the woman.

"Just a second please," the woman replied, checking something on her computer screen. "I would advise you to return home for now, it seem the flight has run into some technical difficulties."

Chase sighed, thanking the woman as he headed back to where Emilee was waiting anxiously.

"Well?" Emilee asked, with hope in her voice. Shaking his head, Chase delivered the news.

"Nope, the flight isn't coming anytime soon. That woman said that we should go home, and anyway it's getting very late."

Emilee heaved a sigh. "Alright then, let's go home. I was really looking forward to seeing them again today..." Emilee trailed off as the two of them headed for home...

The next day...

"Hey Chase! Quick, get over here now!" Emilee yelled, her voice turning into a high-pitched screech. Chase was making breakfast for the two of them as Emilee watched the television programmes. As Chase made his way to the living room, he heard something that made his blood run cold.

"It has been reported that yesterday that flight 760 ran into technical difficulties as the plane flew over the Atlantic Ocean. Less than half an hour later, the plane disappeared off the radar, sparking a hunt for the missing aircraft. Navy ships were spotted making their way into the ocean, rumoured to be searching for the aircraft. This is all the news we have received so far today, we will be posting updates at a later time."

Chase had a sinking feeling in his heart. He knew what was going to happen. His parents would not be found. After all, whoever had heard of a person surviving a disappeared-off-the-radar and crashed-into-the-sea plane?

Emilee turned to him, with tears in her eyes. “They’re not going to be alive, are they?”

Chase smiled sadly at her. “No, I’m afraid not, Lee-lee,” opening his arms.

On hearing her parents’ pet name for her, she dove into his arms, sobbing loudly, mourning her parents cut-short lives. After a while, she blinked at him.

“Where are we going to stay? You’re not a legal adult yet, I don’t want to be going to a Girls’ Home!” (read bottom A/N)

“Don’t worry Lee-lee, we’ll think of a way out of this mess…”

Present

“Passengers, we have landed at the Colorado SpringsAirport, the time now is 5pm, Colorado time is 14 hours later than Singapore time. Thank you for flying Singapore Airlines.”

On hearing these words, Chase was broken out of his reverie. Shaking Emilee awake, he grabbed their bags from the overhead department and straightened his back. The past was the past, and the future would be his adventure.

A/N. The legal age is Singapore is 21 years of age, in case any of you were wondering...

P.S. The real story should start in the next chapter, that's why this chapter is so short... I was finishing the prologue...