Fixing Bruno

"I'm sorry Adriana, but I'm going to have to let you go", my boss, Richard says to me.

"What... why? What did I do wrong?" I whimper, wiping flour off my face.

"Well, first of all YouTube walk in at least 15 minutes late every morning. And then you walk around like a zombie, getting the ingredients in every thing I ask you to bake wrong. Lately, you can't even serve people right nor use the frickin' cash register correctly. And yesterday, I found you asleep in the storeroom! Asleep! I need people that can actually do the job correctly. Adriana, you can't."

"Please, please Richard! I need this job! I need the money! Please I can do better!" I plead.

"No Adriana. I'm going to need that apron back", he says sternly, nodding at my apron.

"FINE!! Take the bloody apron, Dick!" I yell, untying the knot at the back and throwing it at his face. "Don't call me Dick!" he yells, whilst wiping the flour from my apron off his face. I smirked at him, knowing he hated it. "Oh sorry, Dick. But isn't that your name? Richard, Dick?"

"My name is frickin' RICHARD!" he yells back, breathing deeply. Oh yeah, he's pissed now. An idea pops in to my head and I smile smugly, walking out the kitchen and out behind the counter. I hear Dick sigh; he was obviously thinking I was walking out. I sniggered, in your dreams buddy. I pick up the biggest cream pie I could see and walk back into the kitchen. His eyes widen when he sees the pie and I smile evilly. "Screw you, DICK!!" I scream, and slam the pie into his face.

I storm out of the kitchen and out behind the counter, passing my best friend Chad on the way. He grabs my wrist and I try to pull my hand away but he won't let go. I huff and drag him out the bakery with me.

"Ugh! Can you believe that dickhead! I need that bloody job to pay rent for my stupid apartment! But no he doesn't ever listen to anyone but his own voice!!" I whinge to him, angry tears filling my eyes, threatening to spill. "Hey hey! It's alright, it's going to be okay" he soothes, pulling me into a hug. I bury my face into the crook of his neck, crying silently as he rubs my back. "Shh now Dree. It will all be fine, you still have that job as a guitar teacher, right?"

"Yeah, but I don't make enough money to pay the bills!" I whine, my voice muffled a bit by Chady's shoulder. "Okay, well tomorrow I have the day off and we can both go to the city and go job searching for you?" I pulled back from his shoulder and looked at his face. "Really? You can do that for me?"

"Of course, I'd do anything for you Dree"

And that is why I love Chad. He always knows what to say and when to say it. He had been my best friend since the day in pre-school when he tipped water on my head and called me a stupid girl. I didn't care that I was soaked, I was honoured that I had got the popular guy's attention. Ever since then we were best friends, and he promised to protect me from all the boys that teased me. He's a good best friend; he makes me happy when I'm sad and he's always there when I need someone. I know him so well as he does for me, sometimes I know exactly what he's about to say. I care for him more than anything, and when I see him upset, I can't help but be sad too.

Chad and me are like two peas in a pod, always together. We were together through pre-school, primary school, high school and even uni, which we both graduated about 4 months ago. Whenever I'm with him I have so much fun, I have never laughed so hard with anyone but Chad. He can make my day so much better with just a smile. There was never any romance between us, we were and always will be friends, and nothing more. That would just be weird and awkward. He's like my big brother, not a boyfriend. Though I can admit he is pretty handsome, with his dark skin and muscled body. Tattoos trail up both arms and across his chest. The most handsome thing on him is his eyes. They're a mesmerising light brown colour, a colour I had never seen before I met him. They went well with his normally very short dark hair, but sometimes he has it shaved. So he isn't exactly the ugly duckling. But he isn't really a player either. He does well with girls, yes, but he doesn't screw with them.