Ave Maria

This is based on a true story.

******

"... She is survived by her nieces and nephews, whom she acted as a mother to during her life time," the minister said.

I heard my name called along with my cousins and the choking feeling came in my throat again. I held my breath until the feeling was gone. The minister kept listing facts. To half the people in the crowd, they were just pieces of knowledge they would soon forget. Yet to me, it was a list of memories... Memories of stories my aunt had told me and things we had done together.

I was in the choir loft of the First United Methodist Church. This was the first time I had ever been in a Methodist church. It was my aunt's church. Thankfully, I was hidden by a wall that was about the height of my chest when I stood. Yet, when I was sitting, no one could see me.

The minister came to the end of his speech and spoke the words I was waiting for. "And now, Rose, Jane's niece, has something to say."

I stood and my face was suddenly above the wall. The pews below me were full of people, all looking at me now. I smiled, keeping my mask on, hiding behind the walls inside my mind. I was about to share something with them, something personal. Something vulnerable. But my aunt deserved this. I had promised.

I went up to the microphone. "My aunt would always take walks in the park behind my house. A few days ago, on Thursday, I was mowing the lawn and saw her taking her usual walk. I considered going about my business. I could just see her the next time she came over to my house, but instead I decided to go talk to her. I can't remember all that we talked about. I remember mentioning that I was going to a choir competition the next day, where I would be singing Ave Maria as a solo. She said that she hoped to hear me sing it eventually. I promised she would. We said good-bye. I told her I loved her. She replied that she loved me to. And then we both walked away to go about our business," I paused. It might have seemed like I was trying to create a dramatic effect, but really I was just trying to keep my walls from breaking as I spoke the next words. "That was the last time I saw her. So I'm going to sing Ave Maria here, at her funeral, because I promised she would hear it."

When I said 'promised', I actually chocked into the microphone. No. No. I would not cry. Not yet. Later. When they couldn't see. I caught myself and stood up straight, raising my chin and fixing my posture. My throat had to be clear for singing. I had worked hard to get this song right. I looked toward the pianist and nodded.

I tried to focus back on the audience... No, I couldn't look at them. So, remembering the advice of my choir director, I picked a spot on the back wall and refused to look anywhere else. Some part of me heard a sob from the crowd, but I was too focused to dwell on the sound. The notes of the introduction to the song rose and fell. Every note of Ave Maria was etched in my brain, carved by months of practice. The piano's notes fell into place and I took a breath. I sang... and remembered.

"Ave Maria... Gratia plena..."

"Aunt Jane! Aunt Jane!" I was yelling as loud as my six year old voice could. "Can we go fly on the rocket ship?"

Aunt Jane grinned down at me. "I'll race you there!"

I took off running, but somehow, my brother, Will, beat me to the swings. I jumped onto the bench swing beside him, ready to be pushed. "The aliens are after us! Let's go!" Will shouted.

I couldn't contain myself and bounced in the swing. "They're coming! They're coming!" My brother was the best at coming up with pretend games.

Behind me, Aunt Jane was laughing. I felt a push. The sky was mine.