Chapter 2 - Neighbors

Guys, PLEASE READ THIS:

Hey there! I have just started to write stories, and this is my second one after 'Perfectly Transformed'. I would REALLY appreciate if I could get more votes on this story! Love ya xx

Also, I have written the first six chapters when I was younger, and I had less patience so as a result The chapters were shorter. PM me if I should make them longer xx

Chapter 2 - Neighbours

Today for dinner was Spaghetti Bolognese; my favourite. I finished the plate within two minutes, and after that I received a 5 minute speech on how important it is to chew my food from my mother.

"Mary, how about you walk around the neighbourhood - you can meet some new friends." Dad said, interrupting my mother.

I smiled and nodded quickly, excited to meet our new neighbours.

I rushed to my bedroom, changed into my autumn clothes and rushed outside. I shivered; it was cold.

I glanced around the dark neighbourhood, searching for ANYBODY who could be outside. Alas, no one was there.

I started to walk around the street, looking at some houses. They were newer than my new house, and nobody seemed to live in any of them. After an eternity of walking, I finally saw a house with the lights on.

I jogged up to it, and knocked on the door. Almost instantly, the door opened. In front if me stood a tall, muscular guy about a year older than me.

"Hey, I'm Mary... I-I've just moved in, a-and I just wanted to explore and meet n-new neighbours." I stuttered. The guy looked at me, and smiled.

"Come in," he said.

I walked into the house, and realised that it was not that different from ours- only there were no paintings on the walls. I took off my shoes, and the handsome guy led me into the living room.

In front of me sat a very old woman, at least 85 years old. She smiled kindly at me, and asked the guy "well, who is this Nathaniel? Your bride?"

The handsome guy, who must have been Nathaniel, chuckled.

"No Aunty Lara, this is our new neighbour, Mary." He smiled.

"Well what house did you move into Mary?" Aunty Lara asked.

"Umm, house number 13." I mumbled.

Suddenly, the old woman's expression changed. Her face was serious, cold, even. "The devil's house..." She whispered.

"Well, Mary, I think it's time for you to leave... Your parents should be worried." She said coldly.

"Umm...thanks...umm...Goodbye." I mumbled, feeling shocked at what she said a few minutes ago. The devil's house...

Nathaniel led me worriedly down the corridor, quickly opened the door, and quickly said, "I'm sorry Mary, maybe next time..." He faked a smile.

"Um thanks Nathaniel..." I whispered.

"Call me Nate." He smiled, and closed the door in front of my face. Awkward.

It was getting dark, so I jogged home. Once I reached my house, I opened the door, and was welcomed by angry shouts coming from the kitchen. My parents were arguing again.

I felt my heart stick in my throat, and sorrow filled me - I hated my parents fighting.

Slowly, I went into the kitchen, finding my mom sitting at the table, face in hands, and my dad standing angrily.

Tears in my eyes, I ran to my bedroom. I was tired of this negative life. Then I heard the shouts continuing, this time by the front door.

"Now you are dragging our daughter into this!" My mother screamed.

"Well we cannot hide her from this forever!" My father growled angrily. That was it. I had enough. I went out of my bedroom, finding my mother and father standing in front of the doorway. They didn't notice me, so I angrily went toward the back doorway. I would return when their argument would stop.

The door opened easily, without any noise whatsoever. This surprised me because the house was so old, and this door seemed to be new or smeared with oil.

I walked outside, and closed the door behind me. It was very dark so I switched on my flashlight. I took in my surroundings - there was a forest on the left about 10 metres away, and there were some large stone boulders on the right.

I was quite fascinated by the view, and I wanted to explore badly. However, was pretty much a scaredy cat, so I decided to explore this area tomorrow.

I sat on a rock, playing on my iPhone until my parents would calm down. I played 5 levels of Candy Crush and 7 levels of Angry Birds, until I finally decided to return home. I opened the door easily, and went to the kitchen to see if my parents were ok.

I saw my mother, all cheerful and happy, making some tea. My father, with an actual SMILE on his face, was reading the newspaper.

"Are you guys all sorted out?" I asked, literally dumbstruck to see my parents in such a good mood.

"Sorted out from what, sweetie?" My mother asked cheerfully. Well, that was weird; my parents forgot about the fight they had a few minutes ago. Or, maybe, they were just acting all happy to make me feel good.

Oh well, anyways, I was glad to see my parents all positive again. I yawned, and checked out my watch; 10 minutes past eleven. I went to brush my teeth and take a shower, and then kissed my parents goodnight.

Once I lay down on my feather-soft bed, I thought back to the events that occurred today. I thought about Aunty Laura, wondering why she changed so much after I said where I lived. Especially why did she called our home 'the devil's house'. I was confused of how my parents' mood changed so quickly when I went through the back door. Maybe somehow the back door affected on the sudden change of my parents' behaviour? I made a mental note to see if that 'theory' was true.

I was so exhausted from today that suddenly I drifted off to sleep...