Chapter 1

The pack was ingrained in every part of life. There were laws for almost everything. They told you how to act, how to hunt, how to fight, who to love... how to live. They were taught that the laws kept them safe, kept them a secret. The laws were in place to preserve the peace and keep the pack together. Most agreed that the laws were necessary and never wrong. The thing was... she didn’t really care what anyone thought any more.

 Hazel eyes clashed with gray as two people fought inside a loose ring of onlookers. The two people stood only inches apart, the man's tall muscular frame towering over the woman as they glared at each other.

"I mean it Keira. Stay within the boundary. Don’t make me chase you down again."

"Or what Isaac? All you can do is follow me. Again. I like to stray from the boundary when I run. I’m not hurting anyone. I’m never seen. Why can't you just leave me be?" Keira snapped at the taller man.

"It's pack law. Do as you are told girl." Isaac replied in a condescending tone.

Keira bristled. She was the alpha female of the pack and nobody, not even the alpha male, had the right to talk to her like a child.

"I go where I please. You cannot order me about."

Isaac smirked down at her before leaning closer.

"Don’t test me Keira. You are my mate, but I will still punish you for disobedience. You will not beat me. You may try if you like, but I swear you will not enjoy the consequences" he growled quietly in her ear. Despite her best efforts a small shiver ran down Keira's spine. She put on her best haughty expression and turned away.

"We shall see Isaac. I make no promises. Now don’t you have a hunt or something to lead?"

Isaac frowned down at her a moment longer before looking around the ring of spectators. The group all looked away hastily, hoping not to be called out for some imagined offense by the angry alpha.

"Dante, Amelia. Stay with her at all times. Report back to me if she strays" he snarled

The two wolves glanced from Keira to Isaac and nodded quickly. Isaac turned back to Keira, who was eyeing her new captors with disdain.

"I do not need nurse maids Isaac!" she snapped.

The alpha closed his eyes and ran a hand through his chin length black hair. When he opened his eyes again they were no longer cold and hard like steel. He gazed down at his mate with a look that was made up of admiration and frustration.

"I swear you could annoy the moon into not rising. Humor me on this. I do not like assigning you guards but you give me no choice." He put a hand on her shoulder and stepped closer. "I care for you Keira and I am only concerned with your safety."

Keira scoffed at him and pushed him away. "Just because we are mates does not mean you care for me Isaac. We are bound through duty and strength. That is all."

Isaac's eyes hardened again as he turned to leave. "If that is your wish Keira. But know it doesn’t have to be like that. We could be much more" he said softly as he walked away.

Keira watched him walk away, followed by the group that had been watching them argue. She glanced at the two who remained thoughtfully. Amelia and Dante were admittedly her closest friends, which Isaac knew as well. He could have picked anyone in the pack, but he chose to give her as much freedom as possible. Keira growled softly to herself as she turned on her heel and started off.

"Keira wait! Where are we going?" Dante asked as he jogged after her.

"Home" she muttered.

"What? I didn’t think you even knew where your own house was!" he quipped.