Chap18~ A Meeting

My mind filled with so many questions. I sat on the love seat, processing. I took a deep breath and pushed up off the couch. I paced around the room, needing to move.

"So this whole war, a war we are losing, was started by my family?"

"Yes."

"We are going to fight the opposition from in their own ranks?"

"That's the plan."

"OK. Let's do it. When do we start actual training? Like fighting and powers?"

"I think you'll be ready tomorrow. I just need to do a quick lesson after lunch today about the powers Supernaturals possess."

As soon as she got the words out the bell sounded. I hadn't even realized we'd been in here that long.
~•~
We walked back through the hallway, going to the last door for the last time. Poetic... Yuck. I hate poetry. Anyway, Katie hadn't been at lunch today, as expected. We had taken a sandwich and a bag of Cheetos to her room. Lunch was uneventful, no more horrible newscasts. We walked into the room and took the same spots we had occupied this morning.

"Hey guys. We have limited time, so I'm gonna teach fast. First off what's your biggest question about your powers?"

"Why don't we inherit them from our parents?" Me.

"Why do they have to be unlocked?" Lilly.

"How am I a speedster? I didn't get struck by lightning?" Wren.

I face palmed at that one. What a goof. Ms. Callaghan (first name Maeve) chuckled, but I suspected she was holding back full laughter. Despite her accent, her name and natural red hair, covered by dye, hinted to Irish lineage.

"Um, well you don't inherit powers from your parent- Have you guys done biology in school yet?" She cut herself off midway to ask. We all nodded.

"Good. It has to do with the genes. The powers themselves aren't a specific gene, being supernatural is. You're powers are in your personality somewhat. The gene, obviously, affects people differently. Lily, the powers have to be unlocked because, again, it's in the genes. They didn't used to be but as supernaturals evolved it became a protection technique embedded in the DNA. Powers in young children were unpredictable and unstable. It made it impossible to blend in and a lot of supernaturals were hunted and killed. And Wren-" she laughed a little more-" The answer to Cameron's question should answer yours."

We nodded in agreement, satisfied about our big questions.

"Today they are holding a briefing for you guys it will be y'all, Millennium, another head honcho, and me. We'll decide if you guys are ready for training, which you totally are. They'll let you know a little more about the plan and you'll be on your way. Speaking of, we should head there."
~•~
We were in a large conference room. The three of us were sitting at an oval table, on the longer side facing the three of them. Millennium was in the middle, Ms. Callaghan to the left and a soldier looking type around 18/19 to his right. Millennium began an introduction after a moment of silence.

"This guy to my left is our head fighter, Evan Kasters. I believe you know the woman to my right. By what she has told me you sound ready to train to fight, so that's settled. Now, about the plan..."