Birthday Girl

FICTION/KATHANG-ISIP
---------------------------------------------------------

After Kalyeserye had wrapped up last Saturday, Maine was in the pantry when Alden suddenly barged in.

"Meng, busy ka?" he asked, obviously irritated.

Maine turned around, surprised. Alden wore a deep frown and his eyes had a steely, inscrutable glint in them. His tone was rough, almost angry. She had never seen him like this before. Seconds passed before she noticed that he was still wearing the grey sleeveless hoodie she had unzipped on stage earlier. "Sayang, nakabalot ka na pala" she remarked jokingly, feigning disappointment just to lighten the mood.

"Kanina, ano yon?" he insisted in a rough tone, referring to her unzipping his hoodie at the end of Kalyerserye earlier. His expression grew darker. Could he really be pissed off at what happened earlier, she wondered.

Maine rose from her seat calmly. She was not going to play this game. "Best actor ka rin, ha. Gusto mo naman yun eh," she teased. "Anyway, pinrovoke mo kasi ako last week, kaya ayun. I told you Den, don't ever provoke me," she jokingly reminded him. "I have ten minutes bago pumunta ng shoot. Yan lang ba gusto mo malaman?"

"Just wanted to check kung bahagi yun ng script...Yung ginawa mo kanina."

"No, it wasn't. Ayan, happy ka na?" she replied, no longer able to conceal her growing irritation. "Look, can we forget about this? Birthday dinner with friends and family sa bahay ko on Thursday. Sana makapunta ka. Tatay wants to see you."

"I'll be late. May shoot ako, but I'll drive straight sa bahay niyo when it's done," he replied flatly, as if he was doing her a favor. His reply and tone took her aback, but she was having none of it. "May problema ba tayo, Alden?" she asked, crossing her arms across her chest. "Di ka naman ganito mapikon, ah. Is there something you wanna tell me?"

Alden drew closer. "Wag mo lang ulitin, Meng. Nahihirapan na kasi ako," he shot back.

Maine couldn't help but raise an eyebrow. All this over the hoodie unzipping? "Ay sus, Alden. Diba gift mo naman sa akin yung katawan mo?" she reminded him sarcastically. "By the way, sabihin mo pala sa trainer mo, thank you. I see the results and I enjoy them," she added. "Anyway, gotta go. Pag hindi ka na galit, call me. And please bring the katawan sa birthday dinner ko." She winked at him as she slung her bag over her shoulder, making her way to the door.

Alden remained quiet as she crossed the room.

Maine exhaled loudly as she got to the door. She still felt his unnerving gaze on her.  "Look, Den. I'm sorry. I don't know what your problem is. If it was about the hoodie kanina, fine. I was out of line. Shouldn't have done that. If there's nothing else, I have to go."

She was about to turn the knob when she felt Alden move closer. So close was he that she could now smell the heady mix of his perfume and sweat. Suddenly the room felt small, hot, and musky. The air thickened with tension as she turned her head to face him.

"Den? May problema pa ba tayo?"

His expression remained serious and unreadable.