Chapter 17: A Confession

Start from the beginning

I could see the pain flicker across Aman’s face for a brief second and my heart went out to him. I decided to cut in. “Seriously Sal just shut up!” Everyone stared at my outburst.

I took a deep breath before continuing my rant. “Aman is not being immature! He was just trying to lighten up the mood and make me laugh because I feel like shit!” It was true, every time I would be sick Aman would always try to make me feel better and help me not think of the pain.

“He’s is just trying to distract me from the pain. Unlike you, who has been screaming at me and ranting on and on for so long! I have a headache and you can’t even give me any peace and quiet time right now! That’s what a real friend is supposed to do instead of bicker and banter about all the things I had done. And a real friend isn’t supposed to judge, just listen, comfort, and console, unlike you who yelled at me for thirty minutes for getting my hair dyed the color red and telling me how it was a stupid color to pick! So get off Aman’s back, because right now he is being a better friend than you.”

That was a low blow. Maybe I shouldn’t have said anything, but sometimes Sal just knew how to push my buttons. I was about to apologize for what I said, but before I could something spread across Sal’s face.

“I am not being a good friend!” She cried. “Are you kidding me Naina? Have you totally lost it? I think that hangover made you lose some brain cells. You know what Naina I have been nothing, but a good friend. Have you realize that no girl talks to you and avoids you like the plague? You want to know why Naina, because they think you are a loser. Its true! You never go to parties, you always act like a bookworm, and for god sakes look at how you dress! I don’t even know why I hang out with you. I have other friends, but yet I wasted my time with you. I don’t need you because I am YOUR only friend that is a girl! On top of all that, you are trying to steal the guy I like! And I’m a bad friend. You are such a slu…”

Before she could continue for the first time I spoke up for myself. “GET OUT! GET OUT BEFORE I BEAT LIVING CRAP OUT OF YOU! NOW! GET OUT!” I could feel tears starting to form in my eyes. I always thought Sal was one of my closest friends.

All the girls at my school always thought I was weird so they always avoided me. Sal was the only one that talked to me. I always thought she was different. I was so stupid though. Sal always said some pretty harsh things to me in high school, but I thought it was because we were friends. She was embarrassed of me though, was never really my friend. The truth was she was friends with me because I was a push over and I guess the one time she liked a guy and I was closer to him than her she flipped out. She wanted me to stop talking to Raj that’s why she even told me in the first place she like him, but she knew I wouldn’t and it was because I didn’t listen to her she freaked out.

I knew she wasn’t mad of what I said to her about Aman. She was mad because she thought I was trying to steal Raj away from her. Was she crazy? She honestly thought I would choose a guy over our friendship. She was the one who chose the guy over our friendship; I didn’t. Sal didn’t move instead she stared at me.

“You know what Naina..” this time it wasn’t me that stopped her.

“Sal leave now.” Raj said firmly. She gasped in surprise, but then she sneered at me and walked away slamming our hotel door shut.

“She is just mad at the fact that Raj doesn’t like her Naina, she probably didn’t even mean any of those things.” Aman spoke.

“You knew she liked Raj?” I asked. Raj shifted uncomfortably.

“Everyone knew Naina. You are too naïve. I only figured it out for sure yesterday at the park.” Aman said.

“The Park?” I asked Raj.