I Wish ~ 17

VOTE! Please!

~~

Chapter 17 – Revealed

Harriet’s breaths were ragged and her pace was becoming uneven. I smiled to myself knowing that soon she would have to stop running, meaning I would win.

"You...know," she puffed between breath, "Lissa....would be.....able to....beat anyone." She stopped suddenly and bent over gasping.

"Harri, you really need to get in shape!"

"Excuse me, but the teacher never said run, I just wasn't prepared today."

True. For our PE class the teacher convinced my class to go on a walk around town, being me, I convinced Harriet to run, not walk. We were a hundred meters from the school; I stood there on the side of the road my hands on my hips, clicking my tongue impatiently.

She finally stood back up and we continued walking, when we got back to the school, we changed into our uniform and sat down outside waiting for the others.

"Have you been talking to Sally lately?" She asked, almost a whisper.

"Yes, I talked to her this morning, we all did."

She sighed and shook her head, "No. I mean have you talked about our...you know...power thingies, has she said anything about me?"

"No, why, what’s wrong?" Harriet jumped back up and started walking towards the rest of the campus, but I grabbed her arm and yanked her back down. "You must tell, what is it?” I said, my voice rose. Harriet glanced around to see if anyone heard, luckily we were the only ones there.

"God, Kiley, calm down. It’s nothing."

"I don't believe you Harriet, you and Sally have lots of little secrets." I sighed and sat up and headed back to the school, Harriet followed but stayed silent.

That afternoon we sat at the park eating chips, with way to much tomato sauce. Lissa sat as far away from me, I understood why, but I wasn't completely happy with her still angry at me.

"You know, lately I've been thinking about university," Harriet said clearing her throat.

"Where?" Sally and I asked at the same time.

"Well, I know I'm not the brightest person, but maybe overseas, or just at Sydney, they've go a really good medicine program."

"But, never mind," I said covering my face with my hands. I had always thought of us all staying together, being in the same city at least. Sally leaned over from the other side of the table and tugged at my hair. I looked up confused, but she just gave me a sympathetic smile, she thought the same thing.

"Harriet, that great you’re thinking about…the future, but medicine? That’s cheating, you know you can never use your powers," Sally said giving Harriet a stern gaze.

"I know, I know, I would never do that!" Harriet and Sally continued talking about University, which Sally was excited about. But here I was, all flustered because I still had no idea what I was going to do for my future. I looked sideways at Lissa, who had her eyes glued to her phone screen, probably Facebook, something that I had no interest in anymore, she didn’t seem to interested in our little conversation.

What was I going to do, when my best friends moved away, and I was still here, with nothing to do and this stupid power. I couldn't handle that. I couldn't do all that on my own.

"Listen guys, I got to go, I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" Lissa butted in, we all watched her get up and walk away from the park and up the main street. She didn't even look back. Sally shot up in her seat, knocking the empty packet of chips to the ground. Her eyes were tracing the path Lissa took away from us. Sally’s face turned hard, then slowly she sat back down and looked across the table at Harriet and I.