⠀⠀⠀ nineteen

Start from the beginning

"Well, I did most of it," Mikey admitted as he shrugged slightly, holding a signature grin of mischief.

Jude rolled her eyes hearing him say that but didn't bother to correct him. She knew this was the work of everyone, that was obvious.

She cooed, pinching his cheek, "It's badass, Pipsqueak."

"Play nice, Judie." Scout soothed, embracing her little girl and pressing a gentle, loving kiss on her head.

However, her eyes were on Spencer, noticing he was looking at the pair rather strangely. The doctor was staring involuntarily at their exchange, almost as if his mind was miles away.

"Something wrong, Reid?" The brunette sounded questionable but slightly irate, not taking lightly being stared at.

The male shook his head quickly, offering a forced smile, "No, no. Sorry, I was just lost in thought for a minute there."

Jude ignored him and walked in a side hug with her mother as they paced slowly together, merely musing and admiring the decorations.

"Mama?"

"Hmm..?"

The young teen glanced up at Scout, holding a sweet smile, "Since it is my birthday, could I have one drink of wine?"

"Jude," Her tone was instantly set on the moaning, resounding a no. But the newly aged 14 year old fought to soften her up with a sweet smile and gentle coaxing.

"Please? Just one, please, come on." She nudged her softly, "It is my birthday."

Scout snorted at her devious ways and sighed, coming to a compromise. The drinking age in Argentina was 18, but it was customary that children would occasionally drink during dinner. And while Jude had sips of her mother's glass before, she never had her own drink.

"I'll tell you what," She sounded hopeful to the teen's ears. "Since it is your 14th birthday, I'll cut you a deal."

Jude scowled playfully at her sly notion, "Hmm, and what's that?"

"You get one drink but you've gotta dance with me, right now."

"Oh, Mom," She chuckled, pressing a kiss on her cheek. "You don't have to bribe me for that."

She leaned into Scout softly and rested her head on her shoulder. The brunette's heart fluttered lovingly as she signaled to Will, who had taken the DJ role on for the night. The Southern accented man knew what song to put on at that signal and so it started - a nice slow song that meant more to the mother and daughter pair than anyone in that room would ever know.

Jude's heart fluttered like a hummingbird and her eyes glasses over as she shut them softly. The brunette mother gently wrapped her arms round and rested the side of her head on the top of Jude's, holding her close as they simply swayed to the acoustics strumming.

"Blackbird singing in the dead of night.

Take these broken wings and learn to fly."

It was not a song one could rock out to but it was one that they both knew was a reminder of Jude's childhood.

When she had turned 4 years old, the little girl had taken it upon herself to try and figure out how to fly. Jude crafted a pair of wings from materials that she had found across the apartment and perched herself on the edge of a window. Thankfully, their downstairs neighbor had never removed the rusting fire escape and it caught Jude from plummeting 5 floors and hitting concrete. She only had a broken wrist afterwards.

"Blackbird singing in the dead of night.

Take these sunken eyes and learn to see."

After that encounter, Scout would comfort the girl and hum songs to help her sleep. She had dubbed Jude with the nickname of Blackbird, only using it whenever they were alone as the memory was so precious that sharing it would only lessen the sentiment.