Chapter 2

Lauren jerked her arm away and stared back at Chase. Two minutes earlier she'd gotten the shock of her life as she'd watched him and his father walk across the street from the clinic. She'd almost dropped the tray carrying Mrs. Jenkins's spaghetti. Luckily, she'd learned to handle unexpected circumstances and recovered quite quickly.

Maybe he's just visiting, she kept saying over and over in her head. He was a lot taller than she remembered, and she had to crane her neck to glare into his chocolate eyes. She slowly crossed her arms over her chest and said, "I don't see how it's any of your business where I work." She dismissed him and turned to his father and gave him a huge smile. "How are you doing today, Doc?"

"Oh, just fine, just fine. My boy's back in town to stay, and I have a hankering for one of your sloppy joe's and some sweet tea, please." The older man smiled up at her, then turned to frown at his son, who was still standing beside her and glaring at her. "Sit down, boy. You're making a spectacle of yourself."

Chase sat without taking his eyes off her. She wrote down the doc's order, then turned and gave Chase a big smile. "What'll you have?"

"An answer to my question." He crossed his arms and smiled a little. The dimple at the side of his mouth winked and for a split second, she forgot to breath. How had he grown so handsome? Sure, he'd been good looking in school, but nothing like he was now. His hair was a lot shorter, and it looked like he'd dropped ten pounds. He was very lean and had a bunch of new muscles. She was impressed with the ones she could see on his arms as he crossed them over his chest, which led her to look at his chest. It was wider than before. She could see the tension in his shoulder muscles and wondered what they'd look like, what they'd feel like. Shaking her head, she walked away without saying another word.

When she made it to the back, she leaned against the wall and took several deep breaths. What was Chase doing back in town? Why couldn't he just leave her alone? She felt herself hyperventilating. Then the words, "My boy's back in town to stay," hit her and her hands began shaking. What did his return mean for her and the ranch?

"You okay, honey?" Jamella asked. Her boss was fifty years older and about a hundred pounds heavier than she was. She was Mama in every sense. Her family had owned Mama's Diner since coming to Fairplay from Louisiana when Jamella was ten. Now, after raising her own children, who had all quickly vacated the small town, she was Mama to everyone under the age of thirty. She knew everyone's business, and most important, knew how to keep a secret.

"Chase is back." It came out as a whisper.

"What? Why is dat boy back?" She poked her head through the window. "Hmm hmph." Jamella crossed her arms over her chest and nodded her head once. "It's 'bout time he came back."

"Jamella! He's baaack!" Lauren drug out the last word as if to make her point.

"Well, you knew this day was coming, child. I guess it's time to put on your big girl panties and go out there and see what he want." She shook her head and pushed Lauren towards the door.

"Thanks," she mumbled as she half-fell, half-walked out the swinging doors. Lauren turned to the window to see Jamella and Willard, the cook, looking out the order window. Jamella waved her hand towards Chase and mouthed, "Go on, child."

Lauren straightened her shoulders and turned. Walking up to their table, she looked down her nose at Chase and asked in a clear voice, "What is it you want?"

He looked up at her and a smile slowly formed on his lips. She felt heat rushing to her face. He leaned back and crossed his arms. "Dad tells me you fill in for your sister here every now and then."