Chapter 11: Private Meeting

Start from the beginning

Harvey looks to the detective, "That was the Warden, Kelly Winston. She asked specifically for you, Page. She wants to meet with you."

Brandy chuckles softly to herself, thinking back. Only a few short hours ago, before she was aware of the state's recent budget cuts, Brandy had made plans to visit the prison without permission. Now she had just been granted full access with a VIP pass. But, ironically, the main reason for originally wanting to go there was Lynn Holbrook, whom no longer resides at that residency.

Brandy's curious. "Meet with me? What for?"

Harvey looks angry with that question, "She wouldn't tell me! She said it's a confidential matter and that she would only talk to you. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious."

Brandy's thoughts are flying all around her head like debris in a tornado. What could she possibly want to talk to me about? Could this have something to do with Lynn Holbrook? Why wouldn't Kelly Winston tell the Chief anything?

Brandy seems to be at a loss for words, her thoughts continue to suck the words from her mouth.

Harvey sees her concerned expression. "Page, Relax! I'm sure...whatever it's about, it's nothing to get too worked up over. Just stay calm."

"Can Travis come with me?"

"I wouldn't advise it. She made it pretty clear that she would only talk to you...if you show up with Travis, who knows, she may get pissed off, and trust me Page, Kelly Winston can be a nightmare for anyone on her bad side."

"Sounds like you're speaking from experience, Chief."

Harvey laughs and nods in agreement, "Just trust me on this one Page."

Brandy tells her partner about the meeting with the Warden. Ron tells her to call him as soon as she's done and he's there if she needs him. Ron's curiosity is sparked, it's not often he presses into someone else's business, but in this instance he is most definitely intrigued.

***

Brandy's mind is forever revolving around the same questions. Her stress level is on the rise and her hands tighten around the steering wheel. The closer she gets to the penitentiary the more nervous she becomes.

The prison resembles a modern day fortress. Huge guard towers rise high above all, just waiting for a runner to take a chance. A double wall of linked fencing encompasses the five hundred acre compound. Spiraled barbs of concertina wire top the twelve foot high fencing. There are eight buildings that house the inmates and another three buildings for the guard's quarters, the infirmary, and an administrative building.

Brandy pulls to the front gate and flashes her badge. Once inside the walls, she proceeds to the back edge of the property. She is met by the head of prison security and escorted to Kelly Winston's chambers.

The office is large and resembles a library. Shelves upon shelves of books wrap the room, surrounding a large desk in the center. The Warden glances up from her work,

"Ah, Detective Page, so glad you could make it."

Pulling the Plug

Lynn Holbrook sits quietly as 'Charles Wentworth' drives. She notices he has a strange look in his eyes and an eerie grin across his face. She begins to feel uncomfortable and starts to worry, maybe this was a mistake.

After all, she barely knows this man. She becomes more uneasy, the further away they get from her house. Her mind begins to race, thinking terrible thoughts.

What have I gotten myself into?

Riding with strangers isn't common practice for her, but it's too late for her to back out now.