Chapter 32; Have You Been Running Through The Forest Or Did You Have Sex?

Depuis le début

    "Yes," I reply. "Your brother and I both loved her too much to accept that she was gone."
    "She loves you, too, you know?" he says abruptly.
    "Come again?"

    "Alice. She loves the both of you, too," he repeats.
    "Did she tell you about us?"
    "Yes, She'd always talk about you guys to any one who'd listen," he says, chuckling. "She'd always brag to Pan about how lucky she is to know you guys."
    I laugh. "We're lucky ones."

    I smile, recalling all the times Alice's been there for me. She was in the hospital with me when my mother passed away. She held my hand while my mother was on her last breath. She comforted me while I was grieving. She's always been there for me for as long as I can remember. And vice versa. I was there for her when her mother died, too. And I helped her the same way she helped me.

    My mother was very fond of Alice. She loved her like she was her own daughter. We have our mothers to thank for our friendship as they, too, were best friends. I was always protective over Alice, even when we were kids. And when other people asked me why I was like that, I'd always smile and say, "She might not be my girlfriend, but she's still mine."

    People would always ask us if we were lovers or fraternal twins. Alice usually laughed and told them that we were like fraternal twins, separated at birth. And if they asked us if we were lovers, she'd always joke and say that I was courting her. I'd always blush whenever she said that, and Alice would joke and say that I was just being shy.

    I think I first realized that I loved her when I saw another boy flirting with her. It was a couple years ago, Alice, Will and I were in Primary school at that time. I can still remember how jealous I was when I found out that he liked her. Even though her feelings weren't mutual, I still disliked that boy, he was like Pan. He was arrogant and girls threw themselves at him.

    The only difference between that boy and Pan is that I hate Pan. I hate him with a burning passion. He kidnapped Alice and made her go though all those awful things. Don't get me started on the little "Game" he has with her.

    "Lewis?" Ray says, breaking my train of thought.
    I shake my head. "Sorry, I spaced out for a second."
    "What did you say?" I ask.
    "I said, do you think Alice fancies me?"
    If we were in a movie, this would be the perfect time for the dramatic gramophone scratch. "What?"
    "I said, do you think—"

    "I heard you the first time," I snap. "I just wasn't sure if I heard you correctly."
    Deep breaths, Lewis. Deep breaths. Don't go all yandere on him. Alice isn't mine.
    "What makes you ask that?" I ask, dreading the answer.
    "Um, you can't tell anyone, especially Pan," he says.
    "I promise, I won't tell a soul."

    I regret asking him already.
    "Well, you see..." he says, lowering his voice.
    "Yeah?"
    "We kissed," he whispers.
    Woah, woah, woah, woah, you what?! I wanted to shouted, but instead I said. "Do you fancy her?"
    "Yes. Yes, I do."
    Silence falls between us.

    "So... What do you think?" Ray asks.
    I grit my teeth. I really want to hate him for having feelings for her, but how can I? It'd be easier to hate him if he were a prick, but he's the total opposite of one. He's perfect. He's nice, caring, charismatic. And he's has a chance with Alice, unlike I do. What if Alice does have feelings for him? What am I supposed to do?

    Should I be salty and unhelpful, or tell him the truth, that he has a chance with Alice?

    I internally sigh. I'll just tell him the truth, he deserves that much for watching out for Alice while she's been on this godforsaken island. I guess this is why Alice always tells me that I'm Ravenclaw. I always wondered why the Pottermore quiz placed me in that particular house, but now I finally know.