"Why you aren't going to Durmstrang," She finished, "You aren't the only student who didn't make it onto the list, you know."

"But Professor-"

"I'm really not interested in your reasoning because if I give you an acception, I'll have to accept every single applicant. There is simply not enough room at Durmstrang for everyone to go," she said, "Besides, it isn't safe for-" she stopped herself. His eye twitched.

"For me? For hogwarts students? That isn't stopping anyone else from going."

"No," she shook her head softly, "Letting you go will endanger the entirety of a ministry operation. With the threats against your family--"

"What threats?" he interrupted.

"It's really none of my concern, Mr. Potter," she said, "I can't allow you to go."

"My friends are going. Your niece is going. Surly if you deem it safe for her, it is safe for me. If I promise not to enter the competition itself, would that help? I won't be a champion, I won't enter my name, I'll just be there to support my school--"

"Your father didn't purposely submit his name either, and war broke out in the wizarding world," she argued, "If you are trying to convince me, you aren't helping your case."

"Maybe if you told me," he took in a breath to stop himself from raging, "Told me what exactly what was happening-"

"Enough!" She demanded, but immediately her eyes went wide at her outrage. She too took a breath and relaxed, "Very well, you have the right to know. But I ask you keep it to yourself."

***

Professor Maryanna Hurrwood had received an owl on July 1st, 2024. Immediately, she had taken the news to her headmistress knowing full well Minerva would want to know about the recent activities outside of the castle. Pudding Pie, she had thought, what a silly password. But she had to admit that the trend of desserts amongst Headmasters really helped Hurrwood's memory.

The golden eagle rotated, revealing a set of spiral stairs towards the Headmistress's office. She barged through the door, past the taking handle, and interrupted a meeting between Minerva Mcgonagall and Horace Slughorn. With a gasp, she held up the letter and tripped on herself.

"News. From the ministry," she huffed, "Potter is being targeted by death eaters."

"But the Death Eaters were disbanded after Voldemort's lose. I saw it myself," said Slughorn, "There is no such thing as dark arts worshippers any more."

"I beg to differ," said Hurrwood, "There are always supporters of the Dark Arts. This particular lot is after a certain hero's pride and joy."

"No," Minerva gasped.

"I have been asked to infiltrate and attack head on," She said, "by the Minister of Magic. However...."

"If time away from school is what you need, then you have it," Minerva said, "We have two months before classes start-"

"No," Hurrwood shook her head, brown curls tossing from shoulder to shoulder, "The plan is a little more permanente. It will require a resignation and transfer to Durmstrang Institute for Boys in Scandinavia. That is where the threat was first issued. I'll have to go there to analyze the situation myself."

"Durmstrang is where the triwizard tournament is being held."

"I am aware. And under no circumstances are you to allowed any of the Potters to go. Most likely, it'll be far too dangerous. Minerva, promise me you'll keep them here," Hurrwood asked, giving a slight bow to the headmistress.

"You are resigning?"

"Yes."

Minerva thought about this, "If it is far too dangerous for the Potters, it is far too dangerous for anyone. If pulling out from the tournament keeps me the best Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher I ever had, then so be it. I cannot accept your resignation."

Hurrwood frowned, "This is by order of the ministry. You cannot deny me right to for fill my job as an Auror. And you know there is no other way. If I alert the Death Eaters of my involvement, then they'd surely have me killed long before you'd get a chance to protect anyone. If you forfeit now, then they'll sure know you are aware of their plans and it's jeopardise the entirety of the operation. Ma'am, I am asking you again-"

"I cannot risk the safety of my students," she replied, "nor my faculty."

"I am not the child you once taught many years ago, Minerva," Hurrwood sternly held her ground, almost like she was holding back fury, "I was trained to do just this, protect everyone from the dangers of the Dark Arts. If you are trying to hold me back from doing just that-" She took in a breath, "Then I'll find other means to get a resignation."

Minerva considered what she said again, looking away from her to try and piece together a valid argument.

"I don't know what it is," Slughorn said, "But you are always so intimidating, Mary. I will be going. Ah! I'll bring you an expense report for potions on the morrow." He was dismissed and he left.

"I know you are not a child," Minerva stood from her desk, "You have grown a lot over these many years -- by far one of the most advanced witches of your age. I had hoped I could stop you, but it seems I don't have the means to."

"I understand you concerns, this won't be an easy or short mission," she admitted, "But it is for Potter's kids, for everyone's kids. When I go, you need to promise me that you'll keep them safe until I can sort things out at Durmstrang. Have the plans remain the same, don't change a thing. Keep in touch with the headmaster, update me with the occasional owl and I'll keep you posted. Please, Minerva. We want the same thing."

...The memory faded out, echoing in the water as if Albus had just woken up from a dream. He looked from the pool to the Headmistress and back again. Was this all some huge kept secret? Did his father know about the Death Eaters? Did James? Suddenly he was anxious to not go on the trip. There was something bigger at work, something bigger than his affiliation with a girl. He tried to put his thoughts in order, "So Professor Hurrwood is-"

"You understand now?" She asked, "I cannot send you, nor your sister, because it is simply too dangerous. Had I received an owl from Professor Hurrwood giving me some form of assurance even she is alright, I may have considered it."

"Are you going to Durmstrang, Professor McGonagall?" he asked.

"Well of course I am-"

"Then would it not be safest for me and Lily to be with you?"

"I hope you realize exactly what you are saying. You want me to keep you away from danger by putting you smack in the middle of it! I cannot allow it."

"But ma'am," he objected, "They'll be expect you to bring one of us. They'll want one of us there, of course! If you want to keep an act of ignorance, then you should bring me with you. If it keeps Lily safe here, so be it! I should go."

She smiled softly, "It's astounding how you weren't sorted into Gryffindor, Mr. Potter."

"It's even more shocking how he managed to convince you, Minerva," said Severus Snape's portrait with an indifferent little smirk, "Or that he had the wits to do it. There is a reason he was sorted into my house, you know."