00 | ❝he's kinda my hero.❞

The Smithsonian Museum is bustling with activity this particular Wednesday afternoon. There are school kids here on field trips mostly, squealing at the variety of exhibits. The most popular one, by far, is the Captain America one.

A lot of kids loved him. Why wouldn't they? He's a super soldier who protected America. Okay, so there's a lot more to him than that but children don't really focus on the minor details, like the fact that the U.S. Army experimented on him or that he survived in ice for about 70 years before being defrosted. Also, he wasn't originally the big, buff heartthrob he is now; nope, Steven Grant Rogers was just a frail, sickly boy with many ailments back when he was recruited in the 1940's.

While everyone appreciates Captain America, a lot of people tend to disregard the small guys. These small guys, the Howling Commandos, were as famous as Cap himself, but no one paid much attention to them. They were Rogers' supporting team that helped him take down HYDRA bases during World War II. Riley Carson could name them all. Dum Dum Dugan, Jim Morita, Gabe Jones, Jacques Dernier, James Montgomery Falsworth...

But there is one man in particular who has always captured Riley's eye. James Buchanan Barnes, Sergeant of the 107th and best friend of Steve Rogers. He was 'the only Howling Commando to give his life in service of his country' (yes, Riley knows the tour narrator's speech by heart), and she believed him to be just as important as Captain America himself.

On this busy Wednesday afternoon, Riley strides down the familiar halls of the museum, heading for her favorite exhibit. Now, she definitely has a bad habit of being at the museum more than once a week, since she liked to stand in front of Sgt. Barnes' display and read the words over and over, so it's no surprise that the guards of the Smithsonian knew her. Especially now that her visits have grown in number lately.

"Come to visit your pal today?" an older security guard asks as she approaches.

Riley's smile reaches her eyes, her hair up in a professional looking bun. "Sure am." She sends him a teasing wink. "And I see that you still have your job."

The white-haired man actually blushes, rubbing the back of his neck as she walks past him while laughing and patting his shoulder goodnaturedly. Just last week, some smart-ass stole Captain America's suit right from under the guard's nose. It was a miracle that it reappeared a couple days ago, because if it hadn't, the elder would've been epically screwed.

"Don't stare for too long! You might accidentally fall in love with the man!" the guard calls after Riley, and she erupts into laughter again.

"I'm already in love with him!" she yells back playfully.

The brunette makes her way towards the illuminated glass wall after weaving through a crowd of fifth graders, jacket hoisted over her shoulder while she sips at her coffee. She expected to be alone, just her and Bucky Barnes, but today there's a man standing in front of said display, his gaze firmly on the image of Cap's best friend. He's wearing very dark and discreet attire, and if Riley didn't know any better, she would've thought he was just a normal person. But something about him screams that he's hiding from someone or something.

She stops next to him, quiet. She reads the words of Sgt. Barnes' prior life and death to herself, eyes skimming over the letters as she let her mind get absorbed in the tale. The man beside her finally realizes that he has company, and his blue irises widen in surprise to see the beautiful young lady.

Riley is silent after she finishes. Her eyes flutter shut, the ghost of a smile on her face. She decides to address the guy at her side, who seems to not have moved a muscle since she arrived ten minutes ago. She's interested on why he's glaring at the display as if it held the answers of the universe itself. Besides, she could practically sense his discomfort. "He was really handsome, wasn't he?"