Chapter Thirty-Five

Start from the beginning

We'd been working in silence for a few minutes before she finally spoke. Other than a few simple greetings and a little small talk, she hadn't spoken to me since we'd arrived back, ''This must be weird for you.''

I paused, turning to face her and slouching back onto the counter behind me, ''What do you mean?''

''Well, I'm assuming you didn't have the luxury of a proper kitchen when you were away.'' She continued stirring a large pot of steaming soup, her eyes focused downwards.

I was shocked that somebody had finally addressed this topic of conversation. We were relatively safe in the small kitchen, all doors closed to ensure privacy from any eavesdroppers, ''No we didn't.'' I still refused to put anybody in danger by breaching this subject in any detail.

''Come on, Violet. You've got to give me some more details.'' She turned to face me then, laying the wooden spoon she'd been wielding onto the countertop, ''You disappear for days and then reappear looking like you've been dragged through a warzone. Tell me what happened!'' She threw her hands up in a frustrated gesture, but her face was lit up in a joking smile.

However, I didn't find her metaphor amusing. After all, it was scarily accurate.

''Fine. I was dragged along to do some work with Aiden. There's really nothing more to it.'' I stated matter-of-factly, turning back towards my chopping board and beginning to cut up more vegetables.

'''Do some work', eh?' Her tone was teasing and suggestive, but I chose to ignore that.

The door to the kitchen swung open, startling me for a moment as I thought that I may have said too much. Then the bright face of Jared revealed itself as he immediately swooped over to Celia, grabbing her around the waist and spinning her in the air. Her grin was so wide that it almost looked painful, her cheeks glowing a rosy shade.

I stared. Obviously Celia had forgotten to fill me in on a few secrets of her own.

''Jared, put me down!'' She squealed in delight, her hands gripping tightly onto his shoulders as he stared up at her in amusement. He obeyed, lowering her gently to her feet, followed by her joyful giggle, ''Go and help Violet with arranging the food. I'm going to start setting the tableware out.''

Jared turned to me, his eyes full of embarrassment, ''Sorry, Violet. I didn't see you there.''

''Right, I can see you only have eyes for her now.'' I winked, turning to give them a few moments of privacy before the kitchen door clicked shut signalling that Celia had left.

''Sorry again, that must have been really awkward for you.'' Jared came to stand beside me, grabbing an assortment of bowls from the cupboard to place the food I had prepared in.

This time, Celia had made some sort of steak dish, along with soup as a starter if the Royals desired it. She had said that she liked to be thorough and cover all bases with the meals just in case. I had no idea how she did it, hence why she had left me to deal with vegetables.

''No, you're both sweet.'' Honestly, it hadn't been awkward. Strangely, it had made me jealous. How could they find each other in a situation like this and actually be able to show their affection?

''Thanks, I think.'' He muttered, though I could hear the slight smile in his voice.

''How long have you two been a couple then?'' I asked, genuinely curious. It felt nice to be able to discuss such an easy topic.

''Not long. I've liked her for quite a while though.'' He answered, juggling with the vegetables I had prepared and trying to arrange them nicely.

''I knew it!'' I exclaimed, laughing at my own outburst. He looked momentarily shocked, but joined in with my laughter after a few seconds.