Chapter Two - Near Miss

With day one of school behind me, I'm feeling slightly better than I had been after first period.  I always feel better when I'm home, that is until Mum starts her questioning.

"How was your first day?" She asks.

I shrug, "Fine."

Mum is cooking dinner at the same time as trying to get me to talk. I won't. She'll just try and say that boys do that kind of thing when they like a girl. I'm not going to fall for that.

"Oh we don't have any eggs, Bonnie can you walk to the shops and get some?"

"Yeah sure." I say anything to get away from her questions.

"You can take Anna and Einstein."

Before you judge I didn't call our dog Einstein, that was Dad. He was always a smart dog even when he was a puppy, he's a German Shepard.

I make Anna hold my hand as we walk the three blocks to the supermarket. Einstein's lead is in my other hand, he barks at a puppy across the street.

"Puppy!" Anna yells letting go of my hand and running out onto the road.

"Anna!" I scream there is a car coming, everything is happening so fast. I drop Einstein's lead and run, Anna has stopped on the middle of the road.

I'm a quarter of the way to her when I realise I'm never going to make it. Anna is going to get hit before I can get to her.

Someone runs out and grabs her carrying her to safety just in time. My hands are shaking violently and I can't move. I can't make myself move, Einstein is barking wildly.

I snatch up his lead, finally able to move again and run across the road to Anna and the stranger. Who ever it is is wearing a hood so I can't see their face, but I know it's a boy. He's a lot taller than me and he kind of makes me feel short and powerless.

"Anna." I let out a breath that I hadn't realised I'd been holding. "Thank you, I don't know what I would have done if anything happened to her." I gush, I feel like I might cry from relief.

"Anytime." The stranger replies.

I know that voice but I can't match a face to it. He reaches up and removes the hood as if he's being polite because I'm a girl.

I take a step back away from him. "Tyler." I breathe. Since when did he give a crap about anyone but himself?

"Your welcome." He says and wanders away.

I'm standing there watching him go like a stunned idiot. "Anna." I say trying to keep my voice even, "Don't you ever do that again. Understand?"

"Yes." She hangs her head.

"We're going home now."

"But what about the eggs? Mummy wants eggs."

"Well Mummy will have to do without them now." I say leading her in the direction of home.

Over dinner I tell Mum and Dad about Anna running out onto the road. They both give Anna a look of disappointment.

"Who saved her? Was it you Bonnie?" Dad asks.

"No it was Tyler Hanson."

"In that case we owe him a lot. Doesn't he live a couple of blocks over?" Mum looks at me as if she thinks I would know.

"Yeah I think so." I say picking through my food.

"After dinner you, me and Anna are going to visit them and thank them." Mum seems adamant about this.

"I already thanked him." I point out.

"Well you can thank him again." Dad says sternly.

I don't see any point in arguing with him, So I agree to go. Mum drives us over bringing Einstein too. As if I don't have to put up with Tyler and his shit for long enough at school. Now I have to see him outside school.

Before I can really comprehend what I'm going to say or do, Mum is already knocking on the door.

A women with a slender figure and jet black hair, just like Tyler's, opens the door looking confused.

"Mrs Hanson?" My mother inquires.

"Yes?" The lady responds not looking any less confused.

"I'm here to see your son about something that happened earlier this evening."

"Of course come in." Tyler's Mum steps aside.

No no no no. Why are we going in there? We are practically walking into the enemy's lair.

"Ahh I should wait out here with Einny." I gesture to Einstein.

"Oh no it's fine, he can come in." Tyler's Mum takes his lead from me.

I'm out of ideas so I obey and go in. Mum and Anna are sitting on a sofa in the living room, I join them.

"Tyler." Mrs Hanson calls.

I wait and gulp, footsteps are approaching. Tyler appears at the door, he doesn't enter he just slumps against the door frame.

"Bonnie?" He says, he looks.... Uncomfortable.

"Hi." I say trying not to show how puzzled I am, I didn't know he knew my name.

"Bonnie told me that your son saved my daughter." My Mum interrupts the awkwardness between me and Tyler.

"That nice person." Anna points at Tyler.

Pfft, nice. Tyler is a dick if only everyone else in this room knew that. But wait a minute, Tyler is a dick but he saved Anna's life. I owe him. Just saying that I owe him sends a chill down my spine.

"Tyler? Did you do that?" Tyler's Mum asks gazing at him.

"Yeah." He says but I sense nonchalance in his voice. "Bonnie would have got herself run over if I hadn't intervened."

Wait a minute, since when did he give a crap about what happened to me? Had I missed something? There is no way I would have gotten myself run over! Ok maybe I would have for Anna.

"I don't know how we could ever repay you." Mum pulls Anna into a hug.

"There's no charge." Tyler says.

"Well actually Bonnie, Tyler does legal studies. He could use a tutor to help him out with it."

I stare at Tyler's mum after she says this. She must really have no idea about Tyler and me. I'm like a kitten and he's a bulldog, making my life miserable.

"Bonnie can come over here once a week, she can even stay for dinner if she wants." Mrs Hanson says.

Shit no. I would rather stick pins in my eyes, followed by stabbing myself with a rusty fork. Tyler's still leaning in the doorway and he has a similar expression to mine. Panic mixed with dread.

"Sounds like a great idea to me."

No mum, I scream in my head. My life is over. Today is the day I died, mum has committed me to the death penalty.

"Yeah sure no problem." I say despite wanting to say what I really thought.

"Great we can start tomorrow afternoon." Mrs Hanson smiles.