Chapter 5.1: The Doge's Palace

Start from the beginning

A few minutes later, she was still quietly cursing both the professor for finding a twenty minute ride that cost one-hundred Euros, as well as the taxi driver who claimed he wasn't able to provide her with a receipt. Luckily, Iverson hadn't run off without her, and he reached down to grab Reine's elbow, pulling her up beside him.

The familiar, yet almost unreal scene in front of her was mesmerizing.

They had docked right between two monumental columns, which welcomed seafaring visitors to Venice. Reine had expected the square to be at least partially under water because Venice had a notorious problem with winter flooding for centuries. However, the city's new mobile flood barrier system seemed to be working against the dreaded acqua alta. Thanks to this, people - including those dressed in elaborate, matching period costumes - could now safely stroll the square.

Apparently, this year's Carnevale was already underway.

Iverson cut across the Piazzetta and headed toward the Palazzo Ducale. Still hoping he would relent and agree to first stop at their hotel, Reine dallied for as long as she could. When he disappeared through a massive portico, she had to follow.

The sun cast a golden glow on the marble arches crowning the loggias around the palace's enclosed quadrangle, and a few tourists eagerly snapped photographs to capture the moment. Passing them, Reine and the professor headed toward a door on the eastern façade, which led to the museum located within the sprawling building.

Once inside, they climbed a grand staircase carpeted in luxurious red velvet and carved out of the same grey marble as the exterior of the building. Even in this secondary entrance, the upper wall and ceiling were richly decorated with magnificent scenes of saints and cherubs floating among ethereal clouds.

Her professional expertise was focused on such examples of fine art, so Reine knew how much skill and effort went into their creation. She appreciated such grandeur even more than the average person, and this stairway was no exception.

Suddenly, a heavily accented voice echoed from the top of the stairs. "My friends! I am so happy you have made it."

It was a bit strange being addressed so warmly by a man she'd never met, but her apprehension dissipated as she took the last few steps to the second floor lobby.

"Welcome Dr. Iverson. I am Vincenzo Alberti, Director of the Palazzo Museum." The burly man with coal black hair who had invited them to Venice vigorously shook hands with the professor and grinned from ear to ear.

Turning to Reine, he kissed her hand. "Buona sera, Miss Baldwin. It is a pleasure to meet you."

"Signore, the portrait please," the professor pleaded, not even trying to hide his anxiety at finally getting to see the reason for his trip.

A brief shadow of annoyance appeared on Alberti's face, signaling his disappointment in skipping through the expected formalities. However, it faded quickly, and he dutifully turned to lead Professor Iverson through the door behind him.

"This way, it's-," Alberti was saying before Reine stepped to his side.

"Signore Alberti, if I could just have a moment."

Widening his eyes, Alberti gently pushed the professor toward the farthest corner of the large gallery they were standing in. "It's the last frame on the left."

As Iverson rushed past the dozens of masterpieces lining the incredibly high walls, Reine - still lingering in the doorway - turned toward Alberti. "May I ask you a quick question?"

He smiled. "But of course, Signorina."

"Why is it so urgent to authenticate this portrait tonight?" she asked.