Chapter 44: Misunderstood

This heart is still mine
Which means it's still yours if you want it
It's still yours if you'll have it
It's still yours if you need it
It's still yours

--Still Yours by Jamie Lawson

--

"Open your eyes, Lena! Don't miss the view!"

His voice rang loudly in her head. Her eyes were still shut. It felt like forever.

"Open your eyes!" he shouted again.

She inhaled deeply, her lungs burning a little. Iminulat niya ang isang mata. The view was blurry at first, because of the tears, but it eventually became clearer. When she opened the other, the first thing that came to mind was that she's going to die. How the hell did she end up zip lining, anyway?

Kanina kasi, ayaw magpapigil ni Cyrus. He really wanted to go and she's really scared that something bad might happen to him. So he proposed a deal: she'll go if he gets to the other side safely.

"But what if you don't?" she asked.

"Kung oras ko na, oras ko na. But I don't think I'm going to die just yet," he told her. She didn't know how he could smile at a time like that. Hindi siya tinatablan ng optimism nito.

Pinauna na nito iyong mga kasunod dahil hindi pa rin niya binibitawan ang braso nito.

"Ano, game?"

"No," nakanguso niyang sabi.

"Aww, come on. It'll be fun."

"It won't be much fun if you die."

He laughed at her remark. She couldn't understand why he wasn't taking her paranoia seriously.

"If I fall, then I'm going to fly. I'm so happy today; I think I might be able to." He intertwined their fingers. "But I want you to be happy as well. So please, just try it."

"Hindi ka talaga papapigil, 'no?"

He shook his head, still grinning. "Nope."

She groaned. "Fine. But if I die-"

"You're so morbid, Lena. You're not gonna die."

"You never can tell."

"You're not," he insisted.

She was still hesitant, but there's no changing his mind. Might as well change hers. Sabi nga nito, kung oras na nila, oras na nila. Sana hindi pa.

"All right," she finally said.

"That's my girl. But just in case..." He bent down his head and gave her a quick kiss.

--

He did make it safely to the other side, so as she was forcefully made to agree to, she came in next. Malapit na siya sa kabila nang sumigaw ito. Yes, the view was amazing. But when she looked directly below, parang bumaliktad ang sikmura niya sa takot. Gusto niyang sumigaw, pero kahit iyon ay hindi niya nagawa.

Thankfully, the dreadful experience quickly ended. Nang makarating siya sa kabila ay hinang-hina siya. Kung hindi siya agad nasalo ni Cyrus, baka napasalampak na siya sa platform.

"I'm so proud of you," he told her. He let her hug him for support. Her knees were not working properly.

--

It took a while for Lena to recover from the experience. Habang nag-i-enjoy sina Lacey at Martin sa iba pang activities, siya naman ay nasa kwarto nila ni Lacey, tutok sa phone. Cyrus didn't want to leave her alone, so he's there too. He looked bored, though. Pero kahit anong pagtataboy niya rito ay ayaw nitong umalis.