Chapter One

If one were to travel north through the realm of Wintervale, they would come upon a great castle in the side of Mount Shadowcast where the Kingdom of Grasmere lay.

The immense stone castle had been built high up into the mountainside, overlooking the villages in the valley below. Only a small part of the castle could be seen against the side of the mountain. Against the grey rocky mountainside, one could see a vast wall of smooth rock, with a high tower to one side. In the center of the smooth stone wall was a large intricate iron-worked door; the only way in and out of the castle. The massive mountain itself was peppered with windows, balconies and small towers, showing just how deep within the mountain the fortress delved.

Grasmere, the strongest and largest of the five Kingdoms within Wintervale, was built by the race of the Keld.

The Keld were an ancient bloodline of men. Far stronger than the common man, they could suffer heat and cold, hunger and pain far greater than even the elves and dwarves of the world. They were a strong, proud people who had been blessed with large stature and brute strength. Even the women were known for their fortitude.

No one truly knew how the Keld came to be. Many said they were placed here by the gods to rule over the realm of men. Others rumored that they were no more than ordinary men who had been blessed with strength and long life. Whether or not their path was to rule, they did and they did it well.

For thousands of years, the royal lines of the Keld watched and protected their Kingdoms and the people within.

The Kingdom of Grasmere was presently ruled by King Ashmur. The people of the villages were happy in his rule, as he was a kind and fair sovereign. The people were even more hopeful at the promise of his son, Prince Baylin. For, while King Ashmur was rarely seen by the people of Grasmere, Baylin made it his whole purpose to be out with his subjects and see to their needs. He believed a Kingdom was only as good as its people and he intended to see they were properly provided for.

Baylin enjoyed the days when he was called from the castle to take care of business in the villages. While the castle had become a constant reminder of the overwhelming responsibility of becoming King, spending time with the people, reminded him of the kind of King he wanted to become.

This particularly dry, hot day, Baylin and his guard were returning from a visit to the village of Rivermouth, which was the Kingdom's only port and main source of fresh water. Though a great battle nearly five hundred years ago had reduced the number of trolls plaguing the lands of Grasmere, they were still a constant threat. Baylin and his men made it a priority to check the conditions in the village several times a week.

As Baylin and his men made their way out of Rivermouth, people of the village stopped and bowed to their future King; their love for him evident on their faces.

The men of Prince Baylin's guard were dressed as most of the Keld men, boiled leather jerkins and covered in chainmail. They were always ready to defend the Kingdom whenever duty called.

But not Baylin. He was, after all, the future King of Grasmere and was expected to display a certain regal presence when visiting the villages. Instead, he wore a fine indigo tunic highlighted in intricate silver swirling embroidery along the edges, which he wore over a protective vest of fine silver mail. At his waist hung a striking silver belt that featured meticulously carved diamond shapes along the length.

Unlike many of the Keld men who cared little of how their long hair and beards were maintained, Prince Baylin's long black hair was tidy and fell in slight waves to the middle of his strong back. He also kept his beard very well groomed and trimmed close, giving him the proper appearance of a future King. As a sign of his status, he wore a silver circlet around his head. Though it was simple, the braided design gave him a most regal presence.