Group

Giselle

When I was younger my mother        would always read me this poem called The Spider & the Fly

It was about this innocent fly who knew all about the damage that could be done if she got to close to the spiders web.

At this point in my life I feel as though I'm the fly and alcohol is the spider.
Constantly luring me to its evil web
And no matter how hard I try I can't escape.

But if you took a walk in my shoes  would you blame me? Alcohol has honestly been one of the only true friends I've had since 9th grade year in high school.

Vodka was there when my father went away for his first charge. My father was charged with assault for badly beating up my older sisters rapist.

You'd think instead maybe the department would've awarded him instead of arresting him right?

Maybe get a plaque that read worlds greatest dad .Yeah well I thought the same thing until the judge sentenced him up to 10 years in federal prison.

My father beat up the man up so bad that he wasn't even recognizable. So I'm guessing that was a key factor to how he got sentenced.

Bacardi was there when my mother decided to quit her day job as a house cleaner and start stripping because her cleaning job wasn't making ends meat.

I was constantly made fun of and always heard the words whore, slut, and home wrecker whenever it came to my mother.

The kids began to call her home wrecker when they found out she was doing prostitution on the side. And of course some of her clients where my classmates fathers.

Champagne was there when I graduated from high school and college and was also there when I got the job I'd been wanting for weeks.

My drinking had finally slowed down when my life was just beginning to get on track.

Or so I thought. One night... That one night I decide just to have one drink ... Just one .. Might've cost me my job.

"Hi my name's Giselle and I'm addicted to alcohol."

"Hi Giselle" all the people in the support group said in unison. I began to sit in a slouched position on my chair when I heard an "ahem".

I looked forward to find an irritated Franklin (our group director) sitting across from me with his legs crossed. "I don't think you're completely done sharing yet Giselle" he said.