"You are always welcome here," Isabella said, nudging Albus again, "Otherwise we couldn't consider ourselves of the same house, now could we?"

"Thank you," he said, giving a small smile before reverting to his neutral, blank stare.

The trip to the castle was long and tedious -- if akward was not a word Albus could use. Whatever relationship Scorpius shared with Albus, it wasn't a pleasant one. Isabella was the only one who really kept their conversations going, asking simple questions and making quite conversation. But the boys did little to nothing to contribute, let alone speak directly to eat other.

The castle rose in the distance, still fixed securely to the hill side and windows shining in the evening sky. The train slowly came to a halt, the platform began to fill with the younger years. Albus could pick out a handful of familiar faces as they flooded to the self-drawn carriages and the old longboats. Scorpius clicked his tongue, threw his bag over his shoulder, and was the first to leave the train cabin. Silently, Isabella and Albus followed.

The night air was damp, chilling Albus's bare hands. He had pulled his cloak over his shoulders, breathing in through his tight throat. The castle's windows were bright with orange candles, the sky was lit with silver stars, and the trees were black spires scraping at the dimming sky. Albus got on a carriage, helping Isabella up by offering one hand. He had treasured the short moment they had together before Scorpius snaked his way between them. A trio of 5th years from the Hufflepuff house sat across from them, giggling as they whispered gossip. Occasionally their eyes would flicker to Albus, their hands covered their moving lips to hide the soft words they muttered.

The ride was, again, awkwardly quiet. The carriage rocked to the uneven path, the trees rustled to the rhythm of the wind, and the castle drew close enough to touch. One by one, they unloaded from the carriage and were greeted by Madame Hooch, a older woman with a pointed stare and and pursed lips. She wore midnight blue robes, silky and shimmering under candlelight, and her hands clasped in front of her. While Hagrid, the aging half giant, escorted the new first years, the rest of the students, including Albus, were lead to the Great Hall by the stiff Professor of sport.

Dinner would be next, just after the most recent sorting ceremony. Albus took his seat at the long Slytherin table on the left side of the room. The green flag hung above his head, swaying to the light breeze and chatter in the room. He could see Rose sitting at her table under the gold lion.

"Do you think the rumors were true?" Isabella asked, settling into the bench beside him. Albus made sure to check if Scorpius was sitting further down the table next to his usual crowd before answering.

"Do you see anyone missing?" he looked over the heads of other students to the head table at the front of the room. The many Professors were still filing in, chatting with each other before taking their seats. A tall podium was before the tables, a golden owl spread it's wings wide to hold up the loose parchment. Professor Longbottom, the new herbology professor and a previous student from Hogwarts well known for his support of Harry Potter during the Wizarding War, sat three seats away from the prideful and polished Headmistress chair. Professor Trelawney rocked back and forth in her chair, her frizzy blonde locks shaking with her head.

"There is Flitwick," Said Isabella, "He's not looking too good though. Maybe anxious for choir tryouts next week? And Slughorn. He's wearing new purple robes, but he looks as normal as ever. But..."

"They are still coming along," Albus said, straightening the fork next to his plate, "I wouldn't worry too much."

"Albus," she straightened her spine, "Someone new is in Hurrwood's spot, see?" She was right. Where the young woman once sat at the end of the table was now a scrawny man with black hair gelled back on his head. Grey hairs poked out from his mutton chops and unusually dark eyes scanned the crowd. He didn't wear classic robes, rather a tailcoat with a blood red tie and glossed buttons. Before Isabella, or anyone, could ask, the Headmistress stepped up to the podium and waved her hand over the crowd of students.

"Good evening students," she said with a very soft smile and grandmotherly voice, "We are happy to welcome everyone to a new year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. We have a lot of great events planned this year and we are happy to have the new freshmen join us." They had already been seated at their tables now while Isabella and Albus were scanning the teacher's table. "Today, we are also happy to welcome Professor Levesque as our new Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor." Mutters rolled across the room, jumping from table to table.

What happened to Professor Hurrwood?

"Looks like the Daily Prophet was right," sighed Isabella.

McGonagall waited for the muttering to hush before putting on a very serious face and continuing, "Hogwarts School will also be participating in the Tri-Wizard Tournament. I would personally like to warn each and every one of you about the dangers that can unfold during these games. Because of the events in the last games, the tournament was disbanded. But after revising the rules with the Ministry of Magic, this year's tournament was approved for you students once more." A another wave of murmurs floods the room, touching the ears of everyone -- including Albus. His heart jumped for a split second, his father told him stories about the infamous Tri-Wizard tournament.

"Now I know you are all excited," interrupted the headmistress, "But I must inform you that this year's tournament will be held at Durmstrang Institute in Northern Scandinavia. Only 4th to 8th year students are permitted to apply for the limited transportation and housing available on the school campus. If you would like to go, get your parents to send an owl to me with permission and apply during lunch hour next Friday. Regarding some of the confusion about this year's activities, if you have any questions please find me while you are not in class. Thank you. Let the feast begin!" Food rose from the plates and a sweet aroma quickly filled the Great Hall. Dinner was served."