Perfect Match (4)

Start from the beginning

“Sadly, yes,” Cari said. “I know they love me and want what’s best for me, and they think that by comparing us, I’ll feel inclined to try harder, but what they don’t understand is that I really like my life. I’ve got two awesome jobs, a nice apartment, and great friends. I haven’t asked them for anything since I started college. They’re just good at finding things to bother me about.”

“They’re not exactly great parents then, are they?” John asked.

Cari shrugged. “Sometimes they are. Other times, not so much. It really depends on what day it is.”

“That’s stupid,” John said.

“Ria says the exact same thing,” Cari said.

“She’s smart then,” John said.

“I basically lived with her in high school,” Cari said. “Her parents are really supportive of her, and of me. I’m like their second child at this point.”

“Well, at least you have some adult figures who believe in you,” John said. “I was going to say that I’m surprised that no one supports your ventures, but I figured someone had to.”

“I got lucky,” Cari said. “Ree’s parents are awesome.”

“They definitely sound like they are,” John said. “She’s a good friend, isn’t she?”

“The best,” Cari said. She smiled. “Ree is… Ree. There’s not really a good way to explain her.”

“Those are always the greatest kinds of people,” John said.

Cari nodded. “Definitely. Now, does Eddie know about me, or will he be getting a surprise tomorrow?”

“It’ll be a surprise,” John said.”Unless you don’t want it to be, that is.”

Cari grinned. “No, a surprise is good. I haven’t seen him since we graduated. I’m going have some fun with this. Don’t hate me.”

“I enjoy pranking him,” John said. “It’s my job as his best friend. I won’t hate you for it.”

“Good,” Cari said. She raised her eyebrows at the sight of the knowing smile on John’s face. “What?”

“I was just thinking that you and Holly are definitely going to get along,” John said.

“I certainly hope so,” Cari said.

“You will,” John said. “She takes pleasure in messing with him.”

“Well, I guess we’ll find out if she and I will get along tomorrow,” Cari said.

“That we will,” John said.

The next morning, Cari left her apartment and headed off to the bookstore. A few minutes after she sat down behind the cash register, Delia arrived

“Sorry I’m late,” Delia said.

“No problem,” Cari said. “You’re not even a minute late anyway.”

“Oh really?” Delia asked, raising her eyebrows. “I thought it was more than that. Well, I’m not going to complain about it then.” She sat down on the second stool. “The apartment still treating you well?”

“It is, yeah,” Cari said. “Thanks again for telling me about it.”

“No problem,” Delia said. “Devin’s just happy that it went to someone I know. She was awfully fond of the place.”

“It’s great, I can see why,” Cari said. “I seem to be having awfully good luck with coincidences these days. Have you figured out when you’re going on vacation yet?”