Chapter 1

The sound of rain was pelting down on the old tattered bus shelter roof. ‘It can’t be long till the next one arrives,’ I thought to myself as I looked down at my younger brother beside me.

Tommy, my eight-year-old brother, was huddling beside me trying to create warmth by rubbing his hands up and down my arm. I sighed; Toowoomba was not the best place to live if you hated the cold. The unpredictable weather and the below average winter is what destroys any hope of me ever wanting to live here after high school. Picking him up around the waist, he tightly bound his arms around me. I could feel his shivering little body as I tried to rub my hands along his back.

Continuing to walk down the dreary street, I could feel the weather starting to drop. A few droplets of rain fell on Tommy’s head, as well as a sharp flicker of lightning shortly after indicated that we were in for a big storm . . . Great.

Tugging on my jacket, Tommy pointed behind us, “Cassie, there’s a lost girl,” he whispered gently in my ear.

Turning around, I noticed the little girl changing her pace to a full-speed sprint. ‘What is she doing?’ I wondered curiously. Peering forward, I tried to regain my focus. A big gush of wind blew up behind her and in thin air she was gone. My whole body went numb. She was there a minute ago . . . Where could she have gone?

“Cassie?” Tommy questioned nervously. “Where did she go?”

Looking down at him I stared back up in the distance. “I don’t know Tommy, she’s . . . Gone.”

“I wanna go home,” he whined, tightening his grip around my neck. “It’s scary in the streets.”

Nodding I set him down on the gravel pathway, there was no way in hell that I was staying here any longer than I had to. “Come on, let’s go.”

Reaching for my hand he mumbled a jumble of words, nothing I could properly comprehend. Picking up our pace, the two of us stopped at the closest bus shelter. Studying the bus timetable whilst Tommy was happily jumping around on the metal seat, I groaned in frustration. The next bus was in the next twenty minutes, or due to the lack of decent public transport, it would probably come in the next thirty to forty minutes.

After weighing up the pros and cons of waiting for a bus or walking the rest of the way home, I decided it would be quicker to walk home rather than wait. Tommy didn't seem to mind walking as he picked several different flowers to give to mum. The only thing confusing me was the quietness coming from him; he didn’t speak a word, just bent down and picked different flowers when they caught his eye.

As we both walked in silence, the image of the little girl never left my mind, it kept on repeating like a video, giving me a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach each time it was replayed. All I could feel was horror and worry for the girl, and then curiosity as to where she could possibly have gone. Walking down the streets of my suburb, the only thing to be heard was the soft patter of rain falling on the ground and the sounds of footsteps coming from Tommy and I.

Continuing to walk I froze, instantly realizing that Tommy and I weren’t alone . . . There was another set of footsteps behind us. Quickly peering back I caught an image of a dark silhouette outline of a man, wearing a long black cloak with dark, heavy boots. I could hear the echo with each step he took, making me feel even more anxious and worried.

‘It’s okay Cassie; you don’t need to freak out. It’s just a normal, everyday person walking down the street . . . In the rain? Maybe he was just heading home from work, it wasn’t raining this morning. Yes, that’s right, walking to work,’ I thought, trying to change my attitude towards the man.