Chapter Six

Chapter Six

The new look. People noticed. Nothing crazy. I wasn't suddenly transformed into a supermodel but people did turn their head to get a better look when I walked by. I even got into the bar. The legal age was twenty-one. I didn't have a fake ID. But apparently I didn't need one.

With a few touches of make-up and a layer of cotton in my bra, it was shocking how different I felt. Instead of looking for a place to hide in the background, I walked over to where Melody and a few of my other friends were standing and stood in the circle with them.

"I like your make-up," Melody said, carefully looking me over. "You should have probably pulled your hair back; it looks a little frizzy." She balanced her compliment with a snarky remark knocking me down a peg.

Two guys walked over and bottles of beers were placed in all of our hands. All. Even mine. Someone had bought me a drink. It was so hard to hide the excitement building on my face. I brought the bottle to my lips and kept it there, sipping until I felt I was able to contain myself.

"Wow, look at you guzzling that right down." One of the guys who treated for drinks addressed me. He slipped his arm over my shoulder. "I call this one." I looked up and he winked at me.

Omigod Omigod Omigod Omigod Omigod Omigod

"Okay," I said without thinking.

Everyone laughed. The guy with his arm around me squeezed me tighter. "Did you hear that? She said okay." He laughed along with them. I didn't know why that was funny, but I laughed too. Nervously, I brought the bottle back up to my lips and drank.

"What's your name?"

"Tori," I answered, realizing I'd already reached the bottom of my beer.

"I think I'm gonna call you Thirsty instead." He took the empty bottle from my hand and walked me back over to the bar. "I'm Jake." He motioned to the empty seat and leaned against the bar beside me.

The bartender walked over and Jake slipped him a large bill. "Keep em' coming." He held up my empty. I was being treated to more drinks. This was the best night of my life.

Jake was cute. Short, stocky, dark hair, he wore his shirt unbuttoned with a white tee underneath and a thick gold chain around his neck. He was...what was the word? Macho.

Beer two. He told me he was twenty-one. I lied and said I was too. He told his last name. Something Italian, but his mom was Irish.

Beer three. I told him about my cat, Whiskers. He loved animals. He used to have a dog named Shadow when he was little and his brown eyes looked so sad when he talked about him. I just melted.

Beer four. I found out what school he went to. I told him where I was going and got busted in my lie about my real age. He said he didn't care as long as I was legal.

Beer five. I was drunk. Jake's hand was on my back, his fingers playing with the clasp of my bra through my shirt.

The bartender walked over and placed a bottle of water in front of me.

"What is this? We didn't order this." Jake scowled at the bartender. "I paid you more than enough to keep bringing us beers."

"Sorry, pal, I was paid more by someone to cut her off."

"Who?" I thought it, but Jake said it.

"That guy right over there." The bartender pointed. "You have a problem, you go talk to him about it."

I couldn't see so I stood up from my place at the bar to get a better look. Stumbling, I fell right into Jake's waiting arms. He was so strong. So was his cologne.