M.A.G.I.C. ::two::

Start from the beginning

On Monday August 18, 2008, two weeks after school started, things in my life got weird.

That Monday started out like any other day, nothing changed until I was walking to history with Ryan...

"Violet, I'm serious, you shouldn't have left the party with Lance on Saturday."

"Why? You were too hammered, and he was sober. I wanted to get home and I sure as hell wasn't going to walk."

"Yea, but Lance? Come on you know I don't trust that kid."

"He's your best friend." I replied dryly.

"So?"

"So you were drunk! You knew I didn't want to stay the night, you could have at least let me driven myself to the party."

It was true, Ryan was so gone. When I wanted to leave I found him staring at a plastic cup he was holding upside down. He kept tapping the bottom of the cup expectantly and waited for beer to come pouring out. At one point he even tried commanding the beer to come out saying 'I command you beer to come out, I am a wizard and shall drink you when you do,' then he engaged in a staring contest with it challenging it to defy him. I didn't wait around to see who would win because Lance came around and offered me a ride home.

"...Do you promise nothing happened?" Ryan said hesitantly.

"What do you mean?" Then it hit me, he thinks I cheated on him! "Wait, seriously? That's why you're so pissed? You think I cheated on you?" I stopped and turned around to face him.

"Well how would I know, I was drunk, and you were ALONE -"

But I didn't hear the rest of his sentence because I got the worst headache of my life. Within seconds I was on my knees, all senses dulled. I could barely hear anything and I couldn't open my eyes because the pain in my head was too awful.

The weird thing of this all this however was that a scene unfolded itself before me. I was having some strange out of body experience but I wasn't even in the school hall anymore. Instead, I was watching myself walking down the sidewalk in the direction of my home.

There was a boy with dark brown hair standing on the sidewalk with headphones in, getting ready to cross the street. He looked both ways but dropped a book before he stepped down. When he dropped the book, I stopped walking too and watched him.

There was a red car speeding down the street, the driver dropped a CD and bent down to grab it.

The boy picked his book up and set forward into the street without looking both ways again before he crossed. He was completely oblivious to the red car that sped through the stop sign since the driver wasn't paying attention.

All I could do was stand there and watch as the car ran straight into the boy. He rolled over the hood of the car and landed on the other side. He just laid lifelessly in the street while a red pool began to form beneath him. I didn't even see my reaction because immediately after, everything went black.

When I woke up again, I was relieved to discover I was in the school infirmary. I knew for certain now that I had never left school in the first place and that everything I had witnessed was just an awful dream. I breathed out a sigh of relief because I had never witnessed death before and I didn't want to start now.

When the nurse came in, she told me I had only had a migraine. She told me I need food and sleep, then sent me home. She also told me I wasn't allowed to return to school the next day in order to monitor my headaches.

I walked into the hallway and noticed that they were empty. It was then that I realized it was 4:30 and school had already been out for an hour and a half.

As I headed toward the parking lot I was hoping Ryan hadn't left because he was my ride home. I was also secretly hoping he hadn't left because he was worried sick about me and wanted to make sure I was okay. But my hope plummeted when I saw that the parking lot was as empty as the hallways.

I took out my phone and notice I had a text from him. It simply said

Got tired of waiting, text me when you wake so we can hang.

I was a little pissed that he had the audacity to expect me to go over to his house after he couldn't even wait to make sure I was okay.

Of course, I immediately started making excuses for him and brushed it off as I began walking home.

I started thinking about the weird dream I had when all of a sudden I saw a boy with brown hair holding a book about to cross the street.

Without a second thought I took off after him yelling "STOP!" at the top of my lungs. It was when he turned around confused that I realized I was about to make a VERY big mistake. I was already charging after him though, and I had too much momentum to stop myself from plowing into him.

Next thing I knew we were both on the ground and all my suspicions were confirmed. This boy was not wearing headphones. Then I looked around and noticed that there was no stop sign and there was no red car. To make matters worse...I recognized the voice under me.

"Violet?!"

I slowly turned my head to face the boy and realized it was none other than Mr. No-Name himself, the boy from the store a couple weeks ago. I was so embarrassed I couldn't even speak. I just avoided eye contact with no train of thought.

"Um...do you think you could maybe get off of me?" he asked, and then I KNOW I flushed a deep shade of scarlet.

I rolled off of him muttering my apologizes one after the other. "I'm so sorry, I thought, well I mean, I'm so sorry, and I didn't mean to, I had a good intention but....I'm so sorry!"

"So VIOLET, tell me, do you randomly tackle people trying to cross the street often?"

As if he didn't already think I was an idiot. Now he thinks I'm a psycho who randomly tackles people for fun too...

"Of course not, don't be ridiculous!" I said starting to get a little angry that it only seemed to be around him that I acted so stupid.

"Alright, so then what, you just couldn't keep off of me? I mean come on Violet, I barely know you. I'm not that kind of guy." He replied with a smirk.

"Ugh, Mr. No-Name, please stop talking. You're starting to piss me off." I said, I couldn't believe this, I'd never looked this stupid around anyone before.

"Mr. No-Name?" he said laughing and man was it a nice laugh...I mean...um not as nice as Ryan's right?

"I do have a name you know." He said smiling at me.

I stood there waiting for him to tell me what it was, but he said nothing. "Are you going to tell me what it is?" I asked starting to get annoyed.

"Nope, takes away...mystery." He said with a smirk, then walked away.

I stared after him incredulously, then started to stomp down the sidewalk in an angry huff. Who did he think he was? He was so frustrating, but deep down what I hated most was that I was undeniably attracted to him. And I wanted to know his name but he wouldn't tell me. Asshole I muttered under my breath.

It was then that I realized just how familiar everything around me looked. I know that I've walked this way several times, but something about this particularly struck me at this moment in time. It was then that I noticed a boy with brown hair, a book in his hand, AND headphones in his ears. I started walking toward him just in case, it was then that he dropped the book and I noticed the red car.

Once again I took off without a seconds hesitation, but this time I knew I wasn't making a mistake. I collided with him just in time for us to see the red car speed by the spot he was just about to step into. We rolled onto our backs staring at the sky speechless. Both lost to our own thoughts about what just happened.

"Th-thank y-you." He managed to get out. It was obvious he was shaken up. "Th-that wouldn h-have k-killed me."

"Yea, don't mention it." I said trying to sound un-phased. But in reality I was shaken up too. I could feel my hand trembling. I had a premonition. That is not normal.

In fact, it's very VERY rare.