Chapter 1

Summer 1953

I sat at my window reading 'Gone with the Wind' for about the millionth time after receiving it on my 15th birthday a few months earlier. A dull summers day as usual, I didn't go out much like the other did, I wasn't much of a people person really. Unlike my older sister who was out constantly. I swore she was gonna be the death of my parents. They were constantly scolding her for something or other. I tended to stay out of it.

Something then caught my eye out of the window, I saw someone walking up toward my house gate. It was 7pm so I could only assume it was my sisters latest date. Curious, I went and sat on the top of the stair. A few seconds later there was a knock, I stayed on the stairs knowing my daddy would wanna be the one to answer it. When he does standing there was Elvis Presley in an ill fitting suit and unusual pompadour hair style. I'd known Elvis since he moved here when he was 13 and I was 10 and he's always been slightly odd and different from the rest of the guys in my sisters grade.

"Hi, Mr Roberts, is Anastasia in?" Elvis asked my Dad timidly.

Now, my sister had been on many dates, plenty in fact. Most of the boys she had pick her up, my dad hated but, we'd lived on the same street as Elvis for nearly 5 years and my dad loved him.

"Elvis! Don't tell me she's gotten you too, you know she's not worth wasting your time with, but then again, maybe you can make an honest woman of the silly girl. Either way, come in and wait in the living room." My pa opened the door wide to let him in, then walked into the living room.

Elvis shut the door and dutifully trailed behind my dad. He seemed a lot more nervous around him now since he was here for Anastasia. Clearly he didn't fully understand what my sister was like.

I thought I better go say hello to our guest or mother may have reminded me where my manners were.

I trudged downstairs feeling younger than ever in my black pinafore and pink undershirt with white socks and black pumps.

When I entered the living room Elvis was sat alone on the couch and I could hear my ma and pa in the kitchen talking about something. Elvis looked up at me when I walked in and smiled.

"Hey Vi." He said.

"Hey Elvis, what you doing here?" I asked, as if I didn't already know the answer.

"I've come to pick your sister up. Finally convinced her to go on a date with me." He smiled proudly at me.

"Oh, right. Good luck with that then." I tried and probably failed to keep the bitterness out of my voice. I'd always liked Elvis, he was different, like me. But I'd always just been the 'little sister' never going to be anything more.

"Hmmm." Elvis replied, looking into the distance and leaning back. He had visibly relaxed now my dad was out of the room.

I sat down next to him and asked where he was taking Ana on her date.

"I'm thinking the movies and if we have time a diner. Don't wanna bring her back too late." He answered.

Like that would have mattered, Ana came home whenever she liked, regardless of the chastising my parents gave her. She just behaved for a while after and then went back to doing what she liked again.

When I didn't reply Elvis tugged on the ends of my hair. "Not seen you in pigtails in a long time Little One."

"I'm 15 now Elvis, pigtails are just not okay, I don't usually wear it down either but I wasn't expecting anyone to come over tonight." I said with a sigh while I tried to twist my hair upwards.

"But it's Saturday Vi, you not going out with people?"

"You know I don't like to go out much, people think I'm weird." I said shyly while lifting my book up to prove a point.

Elvis sighed. "Well you know people think I'm weird too, but I guess it's something you've got to over come. You should go out more, you're going to be too pretty to stay locked away with your books."

I looked down and fiddled with the edges of my book. He was right, I debated whether I should call Abbie and see if she is doing anything that night, she only lived down the road. She was the only person I'd ever really gotten on with who is my own age.

"Hey, just be like your Miss Scarlett O'Hara!" He exclaimed pointing at my book.

I laughed at him. "I could never be Scarlett! She is so cold and callous! She's my sister not me!"

With that my sister come flouncing down the stairs and Elvis immediately stood to attention, ignoring me.

To be fair, she looks beautiful, her blonde hair was curled to perfection and styled in the way everyone had it those days. She was wearing a lilac swing dress that stopped at her knees and black kitten heels. I watched as Elvis scans her from head to foot. Of course, I thought, and rolled my eyes. Everyone was always enthralled by her looks. Well, they were only skin deep, trust me.

Elvis walked toward Ana, took her hand to his mouth when he got to her. He told her she looked lovely and got a giggle in response.

Daddy then came out of the kitchen and addressed Ana rather than Elvis because he knew Elvis could be trusted.

"Right, I want you home but 11.15 at the latest. Your mother and I will know if you're any later." He said to her sternly.

"Yes daddy." She replied fluttering her eyes at him. I wished she would stop acting like that.

"Don't worry sir, I'll make sure she's home on time." Elvis chimed in. My dad nodded, knowing that Elvis was good to his word.

"Ready?" Ana asked Elvis. He nodded and then turned to me.

"See you soon Little One."

"See ya" I replied, trying to nonchalantly turn my attention back to my book.

When they were gone Daddy turned to me and said what a surprise it was to see Elvis taking Ana out.

"Trust me, I'm more shocked than anyone. Thought he knew what she was like."

"Oh, Viola, don't be so hard on your sister, she's just findin' her way." My momma chimed in as she walked through the kitchen door.

"Yeah Momma but why does she have to find her way through poor Elvis, she's only gonna hurt him."

"We can only hope not, I like Elvis." Daddy said with a heavy sigh.

"Hmmm, maybe. I'm going to my room to read anyway." I said excusing myself.

I dashed upstairs before my parents can see the tears that streamed unwelcome down my cheeks. I wished I didn't feel like this about the one guy who sees me as a sister. I wished my sister didn't have to want him. I prayed silently that she didn't hurt him too bad because I couldn't have bared to not see him around anymore. He was always a welcome distraction on the walk home from school, as he insisted on walking me and occasionally my sister to keep us safe, he always made me feel better about being such an outsider.

I stared at myself in the mirror, noticing how young my face was. I wasn't old enough to wear make up yet, momma wouldn't let me. I pinched my chubby cheeks and pushed at my turned up nose. Ugh. I thought as I brushed my long dark brown hair. I was such a stark contrast from my sister who was really growing into the ideal woman. Tall, lean, blonde, perfect in every superficial way; if she had a decent personality she would have been a goddess. Secretly I was glad she isn't or I'd never have had a chance with anyone.