Chapter 5

It was not long before James had won my mother over and we were going to the movies on Saturday.

We said our goodbyes at the door and he gave me a brief hug before sauntering off back to his house. When he left, I noticed that Elvis and Ana are still stood outside. They appeared to be in some sort of heated debate but quickly hushed up when I opened the door for James to leave. I raised one eyebrow at them, smirked and turned on my heel to go back into the house.

For the first time in a really long time I was on cloud nine and it wasn't because of a smile or a look or a pretty comment that Elvis had given me.

I made my way to my room and lay on my bed letting out a long sigh. My room happened to be above the front door and my window was open. After a few beats I heard voices outside and I realised it must be Elvis and Ana, they must not have come inside. I made my way over the window ledge which is wide enough for me to have cushions to sit on and read on when I choose. I knew they can't see me if they were directly under me. So, I started listening.

"I don't know why you care so much Elvis?" My sister exclaimed

"I don't see why you don't care, she's your sister!" He retorted. I gasped, realising they were talking about me. They were fighting about me! I wanted to stop listening but I couldn't, I was glued to my seat, my ears open and my breathing shallow.

"She is 15 and will do what she likes. If James is what she wants then, she should go for it." At that moment I felt extremely close to my sister. I wanted to thank her for defending me but I knew I could never let her know I was eavesdropping.

"You don't know the things I've heard about this guy... He's not right for Vi."

"You know what Elvis? You sound like you're jealous. Like you want Vi and can't stand the thought of her being with someone else."

Elvis stuttered and retorted, "I'm not jealous! Why would I be? I want you not her! I'm just worried that he is only interested in one thing..."

I heard my sister move and in a lower voice she asked, "Oh, and you're not?"

I heard them kiss, the argument obviously forgotten. With that I moved from my window back to my bed with a sick feeling in my stomach.

Elvis defended himself quite hard then and I can't help but think back to what happened yesterday. Did he really not want me? Was he jealous? I'd never thought of him being jealous before, but it does explain some of his actions, doesn't it? Or was I just wanting that to be the case? I don't know.

I let out a long defeated groan. I didn't know what to think anymore.

////////////////////

The next morning I woke and dressed for school in far more time than Ana did, as always. I chose a black and white polka dot day dress that had a collar, clinched in at my waist and flared out, that stopped at my knees. It was one of my favourites, and Elvis usually gave me a lot of compliments when I wore this. But I tried not to dwell on that...

I went down stairs and tried to keep my mood as perky as possible, even though I knew tonight Elvis and his family would be over for dinner, I kept thinking what a lovely day it was and how at the end of the week school will be out.

Ma was sat at the table in the kitchen while pa was bending down to kiss her goodbye before leaving for work.

"You're ready promptly today Lila." Pa observed using the nickname I had given myself when I was younger when I couldn't say Viola.

"Just ready to get this week over and done with pa." I told him while reaching for an orange out of the fruit bowl.

"Oh yes, ma did tell me about your date this weekend, you're excited then?"

"It's not just that pa, I'm looking forward to summer and having all my time to read and see Abbie."

"And help your mother." He said smiling while he kissed my forehead. After that he left for work.

I got myself a glass of milk and drank it before telling mother that I'm going to head off early and would she let Ana know so she doesn't wait for me.

I slipped on my black pumps and grabbed my bag before heading out the door.

I was shutting the door behind me, concentrating on where I should start peeling my orange when a throat clearing in front of me made me look up.

"Elvis?" I questioned. "Ana isn't up yet, I don think. If she is she certainly isn't ready." I told him.

"I know that. I don't think she is coming in today, she has an interview in town for a job." He told me.

"Well then, why are you here?" I knew I was being callous but I needed to be, now more than ever.

"I was hoping to catch you, I wanted to talk." He was looking me dead in the eyes and it was difficult for me to not look away.

"We have nothing to talk about." I told him. I didn't want to talk. I couldn't. It would only lead to me admitting things I shouldn't. So I walked past him and started walking in the general direction of school, even though I would be incredibly early. I turned my attention once again to my orange which I dutifully started peeling. Elvis was hot on my heels.

"Alright then," He said catching up to me. "You may not, but I do, so just listen."

I stayed quiet and continued peeling my orange.

"Good, erm, okay then." He started. "Vi, the other day I was an ass. I am sorry. I shouldn't have told you what to do about James, if you like him and you're happy that should be all that matters, and it is. I just want you to be happy Vi. I care about you so much. I'm sorry I made things awkward walking home yesterday. It wasn't my place. I shouldn't have." He took a breath and thinking he was finished I opened my mouth to respond but he carried on. "And after church on Sunday..." He paused again. "I just... I don't know what came over me. I shouldn't have, but I don't know. I'm just sorry, especially if I made you uncomfortable. I know you see me like a big brother and I don't want to ruin that." He finished.

I didn't know what to say. He had gotten it all wrong. It hadn't made me uncomfortable, I didn't see him as a big brother and he hadn't ruined anything! I wanted to scream it at him but all I could do was stare at my orange and keep peeling, very, very, slowly.

He touched my arm. "Vi, say something. Please." He pleaded with me but I was still coming up with something to say and forcing the lump that had formed in my throat down.

We approached the park and when we reached the gate, I knew we had time so went in and sat on the bench just inside next to the hedge surrounding the park. Elvis, obviously followed.

After we sat, I stayed quiet for a moment before getting up and putting my orange peel in the trash can near us. When I returned I finally looked at him. He looked earnest and concerned, he really didn't want to hurt me. He looked honest and sincere. It was time I was the same with him.

I sat down next to him and let out a long sigh. I couldn't believe I was about to do this.
--------------------------------------
Authors note: Hey guys! Sorry it's been so long but I've been so busy this month, I was working at two festivals and had zero time! But I'm glad to have gotten to this out to you now! Better late than never! Sorry I've left it on a bit of a cliffhanger (of sorts) but I've got the next par written up so all I need to do is proof read and edit it. Then it'll be up!
Thanks guys, xoxo

Little Sisterजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें