Chapter 21. Breakfast On The Dawn Treader

Начните с самого начала

She didn't say anything the entire time, making sure that her amusement was the portraits on the wooden walls of the ship.

"How was your morning?" He asked softly as they entered the room and he let her go, pulling a chair for her to sit on before he did so.

She humphed, "just fine." The meal was served and she couldn't keep from glancing at him from time to time, and so did he. They were like two completely mad teenagers, which they were, with tension growing with each second. The rest of the people at the table continued with their boring talks about the war and decisions as Angelina and Edmund were in the middle of a staring contest.

All of them were done with their food as yet another conversation about the war started. Edmund's eyes ran around the room until they landed on her again. Hers did the same, stopping at Susan first and pretending like she was intrigued by the conversation.

After a few seconds, she couldn't help but glance back at Edmund who's eyes were already on her. She smiled a bit and so did he, letting the tension between them ease a little bit. Out of nowhere, Edmund got an uncontrollable urge to take her hand, sit closer to her, be as close to her as possible. Without any suspicion and innocence on his face, Edmund stood up from his seat and crossed the room, pacing.

"But Caspian, it's impossible to defeat that army, they actually have dead skeletons fighting on their side!" Susan turned her head away from Edmund to Caspian who was sitting on a chair. Both Caspian and Susan were distracted by their conversation.

Angelina listened closely, not wanting to intervene as she leaned back on the couch, looking at them. She was positioned behind Caspian and Susan who were not paying much attention to her. Edmund crossed the room again, this time being closer to Angelina. He picked up a book from the shelf behind her and stared at her, sitting down beside her.

Edmund opened the book and pretended to read. His hand made its way closer to hers, which was sitting on the couch, and their fingers intertwined. Moving in closer, the tension between them was growing with every inch.

Susan and Caspian were still arguing about the war as Edmund tried his hardest not to comment on what they were talking about, alas he couldn't and when he heard about Aslan he had to intervene.

"We can't just forget that Aslan is also on our side, besides we have His light now-"

Angelina stood up, looking down at Edmund, "oh so that is what I am to you now, a light?"

"What?" He furrowed his eyebrows, "that is not what I meant-"

She crossed her arms in front of her chest, "why can't you just admit that you're doing the same thing with me that Peter did, you see a weapon in me and that is all."  Now, both Susan and Caspian turned to them, Edmund sitting on the couch and Angelina standing right above him, angry for whatever reason.

"What happened?" Susan raised her eyebrow.

Angelina blinked a couple of times and then glanced at Edmund, "I saw a rat, this place is infested!" She didn't think he was all too satisfied with her reaction.

"Heavens! On the dawn treader?" Caspian stood up and started looking at the floor in hopes of finding the rat.

"Excuse me," Angelina spoke and stormed out of the room.

Susan and Caspian looked at Edmund who closed his eyes, his head falling on the back of the couch.

"Did you see it too Edmund?" Caspian was strangely concerned with the rat, he didn't want his crew to be startled by such an intruder.

"Oh for God's sake! It wasn't a rat!" Edmund stood up, walking out of the room frustrated.

"I wonder if the rat was my dear stupid brother,"  Susan looked at her brother as he walked out of the dining room.

"I wonder what could scare Edmund more than a rat!" Caspian still ran his eyes through the floor once again.

Susan chuckled, Caspian was as clueless as ever, "there is something going on between those two, our whole journey here Angelina would not stop talking about Edmund and now she avoids him as if he was the last person on earth she'd talk to."

Caspian nodded his head, "Ed is doing the same, he talked about her all the time, on all occasions, he would find an opportunity to bring her up, it was quite annoying if you ask me."

"Do you think they might have feelings for each other?" Susan asked, leaning in so no one would hear.

Caspian rolled his eyes, "of course they do, have you seen how tense they are around each other. They're both in denial. Perhaps if we confront them? Maybe they would confess to everything for their own good?"

Although she agreed, Susan knew that it wasn't her place to poke her nose into, "yes, or we could stay away and let them figure it out on their own."

Looking at the door they both exited seconds ago, Susan hoped that her brother had enough brains to follow the young woman and confront her about whatever happened between them while she was distracted with Caspian.