Chapter 9

'Appologise now!' Sarah hollered at her soon to be husband.

'No' Mark grunted, 'six weeks I spent trying to put her back together. she would barely leave her apartment. No Sarah I won't appologise.'

'It's ok Sarah, really I deserve it. Can we move on now please, I think this is upsetting Ellie.' Luke inwardly groaned as he stood from the table and walked over to Ellie who looked torn between comforting her husband and pleasing her dad; who by the way could pack a mean punch.

'Ok let's eat' Sarah said brightly.

As Sarah and Ellie bustled around the kitchin Mark took the time to talk with Luke.

'Are you gonna hurt her again?' Mark got straight to the point 'Coz if you are, if you think there's the tiniest possibility wall away right now. She was nothing when she came here, do you realise that, she was broken and I honestly thought I wouldn't be able to fix her. You have absolutley no idea how many times she called me in tears when you let her down. Do you?'

'I can't say sorry enough, I honestly don't know why I did it. I had nothing and then I had everything. All this shit at my disposal. Cars, money, women were throwing themselves at my feet. The people who I thought were friends, well they wern't, they encouraged me to cheat, and I let them. Ellie was never bothered with all this money we have, she didn't ask for anything ever. She didn't need me.'

'I always needed you Luke' Ellie stood listening to every word, she was partly to blame. The sex issue was part of it she was sure, this was more, she never realised that he felt so alone.

'Ellie, how much did you hear?' Luke asked.

'All of it, why didn't you ever say anything?' Ellie sat next to Luke, she took his hand in hers.

'Ellie, when we first met, it was you who saved me, you looked after me. When we got this business, it was my turn to help you, I could get you clothes and jewelery and shit like that, but you never wanted it. You just carried on with your business plans, I wanted you to use our money but instead you got a loan. You have never needed me.'

'This is my fault.' Ellie stood up and ran, she locked the bathroom door behind her and slid to the floor.

She heard someone outside the door and someone knocked on it.

'Ellie, please let me in.' Luke pleaded.

'No Luke you were right. I was never wild in bed and you felt alone. All our marrieage you have felt alone. That's why you went with other women. That's my fault Luke. This is all my fault.'

'Ellie let me in and we can talk about this.' Luke tried the door handle but is was still locked.

'Ellie, I should have told you, I just didn't know how. It didn;t give me the right to screw around. That is still and always will be my fault. I should have spoken to you.'

Click.

Ellie opened the bathroom door. 'Really. So I'm not completely rubbish as a wife.'

'Really. We were young when we married. We just need to start over. We need to spend more time together, we need to learn about each other all over again.'

'Ok can we go now I'm so hungry.'

Dinner was surprisingly uneventful. As they were leaving Mark pulled Luke aside.

'I'm begging you. Please don't hurt her Luke.'

'I won't Mark. I promise.'

Later that night Ellie was sat in Luke's office, going through last minure preperation for the opening day, plans ans recipes were scattered all over the desk. She rubbed her hand over her face, it was 11.30pm and Ellie was feeling the pregnancy. It wasn't unusual for Ellie to be up late working. Since finding out she was pregnant she was fiding it increasing difficult to stay awake. She lay her head on the desk, her hands under her head. Just a minute, she thought. I'll close my eyes for just a minute.

Luke too was also working. He lay sprawled accross the sofa in his office replying to Lucy's hurrendous list of questions. Ellie sat at his desk working on plans for the opening. He'd stepped out to get them both a drink. When he stepped back into his office, Ellie had fallen asleep on his desk.

She finally gives in, he was worried about her. She'd spent most of today with her head in the toilet and the other half looking like she needed to sleep for a week.

'Luke' Ellie stirred as he placed her on the bed 'Don't leave me.'

'Ssssshhhh Ellie go to sleep, I'll never leave you baby.'

Luke pulled Ellie's dress over her head and unclasped her bra, he pulled his own shirt over her head and fastened the buttons.

He pulled off his pants and socks leaving himself in his boxers and climbed in next to her and pulled her close. As he was drifting off to sleep, his thoughts filled with todays progress. Today had been a learning curve for the pair of them. They'd both been guilty on some counts, him more than Ellie. He'd never try to justify his actions. Luke looked at his phone as it buzzed on the nightstand

Ashley: Tuesday 2pm Doctor's appointment. Don't be late! x

Bitch. Luke struggled to remember why he even thought he could find some kind of solace with anyone apart from Ellie. What on earth possessed him to ever look at Ashley let alone anyone else.

Well, he was damn well paying for it now. Lesson learnt.