22. One Part Angel.

Start from the beginning

"Elaheh can I talk to you?" Eric asked and I frowned. What was he playing at?

"Of course!" Elaheh smiled warmly at him. His eyes moved to me and I saw no challenge in them. He accepted that she was mine and wouldn't try anything. Relaxing, I turned to Kaveh, Jenna and A'ki. No Man's Land was quickly emptying of people.

"How is she?" Kaveh asked.

"She's getting along. You were right, she hates to show weakness. Unless you really watch her, you'd never know something was wrong." I replied and it was true. I noticed the way she flinched when a man she didn't know or trust passed her and the frustration she felt afterwards.

"She looks so much better now. She even looks, dare I say it...happy." Jenna said.

All three of us watched her from a distance as she chattered with Eric. As though sensing our gazes she looked our way. She smiled first, then seeing our expressions frowned. When we didn't stop watching her, she rolled her eyes and turned back to Eric.

"Have you found anything? " Kaveh asked me and I frowned.

"Yes actually. There's been word of a couple of rogues who have been spotted in the city. I went to check it out yesterday but they weren't there. They've moved. Obviously they keep moving because they know that staying in one place for too long would be dangerous. I've sent ten of my men out into the city. I've spread them around so that if they get wind of any of the rogues they can keep and eye on them till I reach."

When Elaheh had finished with Eric, She, A'ki and I got into my car. I'd sent Chad earlier to make sure that the pack territory was safe and that no one unwanted had snuck in.

A'ki fell asleep in the back seat and the car was silent except for his snores. Elaheh reached to switch on the radio and a song I didn't recognise played.

"Your hand fits in mine like it's made just for me.
But bear this in mind it was meant to be..
"

As the song droned on, I could feel Elaheh's growing agitation.

"Is something bothering you?" I asked finally tired of her frustrated huffs.

"Why would someone sing a song like this? He's basically saying that he sees all her flaws." She said. She was more dramatic than I thought.

"I don't think that's what they mean." I said but she shook her head.

"No girl wants to know that her man sees her flaws. I mean, we know that we're not pretty all the time and that you'll see that but we'd rather you completely ignore it." She said.

"I highly doubt that's the point of the song. I think they're just saying that he knows what she thinks her flaws are but that's not how they see it. To him that's what makes her who she is. The tea, the sleep talking, the dimples or whatever." I said.

She was quiet after that. I could tell she still didn't like the song but I think it was more because it was a terrible song than because of what she initially felt the song said.

The next song that played was better and she actually sang along. It was the first time I'd heard her sing since that day and her voice was strong and beautiful. It relaxed me.

By the time we reached, she'd taken off her heels and basically zombie walked into the house.

Everyone except Kaveh and I were too tired to talk but we all just decided to go to bed. I showed Kaveh and Jenna to their rooms and A'ki simply passed out on the couch. I wasn't happy about it but I let him be. Elaheh had already gone to her room. Sleep quickly enveloped me after I showered and got into bed. It had been a good night. No trouble at all.
-----------------------------------------------------------