Prologue

As they tear at my flesh all I can think is how much I want to see the stars again. I remember sneaking onto the roof of the hospital with Tate and just wishing for five more minutes. But then the pain returns. I can feel them tear away layer after layer of skin. Feel the blood over flow and trickle down the sides of my body. I feel every bite they take. Then I wake up...
I guess I must of screamed, because I can hear Hope run up the stairs. I turn on my bedside light just as she bursts into my room. She pants as she looks around looking for the source of my scream until finally her solid green eyes settle on me. She smiles that pity smile, that I hate with everything in me, as she leans against the doorway. I have to admit that my older sister has an awesome body, but given that we're identical twins, despite our eyes, I have to say that. With her 5'9 stride she reaches the bed in two steps, after she lays down next to me she asks,
"Another dream?"
"If you call being eaten alive every night a dream? Then, yeah."
"I thought they were getting better." She questions.
"Yeah, well when things start looking up that's usually when all hell breaks lose."
"Don't use that kind of language, first of all." She scolds me. "And second of all, that's not true."
"What, the part about things being good?" I throw back at her as I get up to pace. "As I recall no one has been attacked within five weeks and Doc isn't staying at the clinic, so that means that he and Kat aren't fighting." I count off on my fingers.
"And Ian asked you out." She whispers gently.
Not much can get me to shut up and halt my pacing, but these five little words do more than that. They also get my heart racing. Which gets my blood flowing, which in turn gets my mind swirling with memories.