Love is the Best Future

"What is Flurry doing?"

Twilight, now a much taller Alicorn, looked down at the youngest Alicorn Flurry Heart. At this point, Flurry Heart was about the same age as her mother was when she was Twilight's foal-sitter.

Flurry Heart was flying only a foot or two off the ground, chasing after the butterflies in the Canterlot gardens. The thought of her Princess ceremony which was only a month away, was the last thing on her mind.

"Twilight, what's wrong?"

"Your daughter is chasing butterflies again." Twilight growled.

"Oh, yikes." Princess Candace whispered. "Thought she broke out of that habit by now..."

Twilight huffed and trotted silently towards Flurry Heart till she was right behind her. She lifted up on her back hooves and used her front ones to slam down on the earth, scaring off the butterflies.

"Eep!" Flurry Heart squeaked, her wings clamped down to her sides and she collapsed into the dirt.

"Flurry Heart." Twilight said sternly. "It's been several years and we not only have we not found out your purpose as future Princess, but you're still a blank flank!"

Flurry Heart shook the dirt off her wings and frowned from her aunt's scolding.

"I'm sorry for yelling at you." Twilight sighed. "It's just...every foal passed the class with a cutie mark except you. An Alicorn."

"I'm in no rush, Aunt Twilight." Flurry Heart told her.

"When you're a Princess, keeping to a schedule is important." Twilight explained. "I know that better than anyone. I've organized my books over 300 times in my life. Remember when you helped me?"

Flurry Heart smiled broadly and nodded cheerfully, remembering helping her aunt as a filly.

Twilight felt relieved, she never wanted to yell at her niece. She just wanted her to find her way as a Princess as an Alicorn should. And she was taking unusually slow.

"Tomorrow you're visiting my castle again." Twilight smiled. "You'll get to see my best friends again."

"Awesome Aunt Twilight." Flurry Heart replied, her eyes bright.

Twilight headed back to the castle of Princesses Celestia and Luna and Flurry Heart looked out toward the field, still yearning for the chase of butterflies and the soothing siestas in the flowers.

If I feel just right doing that, then how come I didn't get a cutie mark in laziness.

Cause laziness isn't a talent you dolt.

Flurry Heart sighed, the Princesses tried their hardest to lead her in the right direction. Neither Princess duties nor casual butterfly chasing or even sleeping made her feel complete.

If I don't find my missing piece I'm going to go crazy.

She held onto a sliver of hope that her newest visit to Ponyville would do something.

She trudged over to her room of several months, she had moved in to Canterlot when she decided her fate couldn't be in the Crystal Empire. There seemed to be only room for one Princess.

They visited her often, and Shining Armor, her father, greeted her. She was grateful for his undying patience to find the right path.

"Perhaps before you become a Princess you'll get your cutie mark." Shining Armor reassured her.