I wanted to be alone.

“Please let me in!” His voice continues; a gentle loving tone. He isn’t going to give up is he?

The lump in my throat makes it difficult to talk, along with the plummeting tears streaking my face, “can you-,” I cough to clear my throat, “can you get Adrianna?” I ask through the door; I have to tell her- she deserves to know what is going on.

I won’t lie to her like our family have done for so long.

“Of course, I’ll be right back.”

I’m guessing he knows. Everyone knows- I was told by the pack council of the news. News I didn’t want- but had to hear.

I rise from the floor where I fell to during the phone call and wander over to the arched window, sitting on the ledge, curling in on myself in hopes of comfort.

When Declan and Adrianna enter, I hastily wipe the tears away and hold out my hand for my little sister; too young to deal with such drama but she needs to know.

“What is it sis? What’s happened?”

After joining me on the window sill; Declan stood by me with my hand enclosed in his, I start, “you know daddy did something bad? You knew he was in trouble for hurting Deacon?” I had to word this just right so she understood what he’d done but also why he was being punished.

“Yeah…”

“Daddy had to be punished for what he did. What daddy did to Deacon is also why I moved us from mum’s. She blamed me… she refused to accept that dad was to blame. She wanted us out… but now, we have to deal with this for ourselves.

Daddy is being sentenced to death in the morning Ade, and as part of the back…” I sigh, looking at her eyes fill with tears, “we have to be there.”

“I hate him,” those words coming from my little sister… a child no less were shocking, “how dare he do that to your mate. I’m guessing this is about Jamie huh?” Adrianna’s voice was bitter, angry but hurt all at once.

I just nodded in silence, letting her run through the information I’d presented.

“I might not like that he’s gonna die, but he has to be punished I guess. If mum can’t see what he did, then more for her. Tomorrow we will say goodbye and move on. He will no longer be my dad, and we can get on with our lives.” How could a child of ten be so calm about losing their dad?

I was in awe of my little sister, and I knew I had to be strong for her.

“If you want to cry, or scream… or anything, you can Adrianna. It’s normal.” Declan’s voice is low, supportive but low.

Ade pulls herself from me shaking her head, “no, he doesn’t deserve my tears. Neither does mum. Our family is right here. If I cry, it’s because of upset here. Not by them.” And she exits the room with her head held high.

All the while, my tears flow interminably, unable to halt them; I finally give in to the pained sobs I’d held back for fear of upsetting my sister. Now, as the broken heaves took hold, Declan lifted me off the window ledge and over to the bed, cradling me in his arms, between his legs, letting me give in. I needed to.

I’d been through too much over the past few weeks.

Mates and babies and ex-girlfriends and limitless dramas.

Something’s gotta give.

This is my something.

~*~

Mutterings, bad mouthing and curses pointed towards the wooden stage at the back of the pack house alerted me to my father’s entrance; cast in silver chains by two over-muscled members of the security team; now seated on a metal chair, further chains attached to him.