Chapter Eleven - The Breakfast Table

Start from the beginning

"That's sad. Is it..." She shook her head. "It's none of my business."

He blew out a breath, "Kayli makes it everyone's business."

After that comment, Uncle drew our attention towards him as some of the kitchen staff walked out with platters of food. "Let's dig in before I waste away."

"Not possible," North grumbled with a smile as he ducked a piece of flying bacon.

"God, I'm starving," Alexander whined, immediately picking up a set of tongs and grabbing piles of whatever food was closest to him.

"Boy," Nathan growled. "The ladies are meant to fill their plates first."

"It's alright, Dad," Sofia smiled. "He is a lady so we don't mind."

"Fuck off, I'm not a fucking girl," Alexander spat back.

"Watch your mouth in my diner, Alex," Uncle ground out, half out of his chair so that his nephew couldn't mistake how deadly serious he was being.

"Another morning with the Sorensons," Charlotte laughed, punching Alexander in the shoulder as she stole his plate. "Thanks for the food, Irish."

"Mum!" Alexander groaned. "Make her stop! And she stole my food."

"You're seventeen, not seven, darling," His mother answered. "Perhaps you can sort it out yourself."

"The injustice," He cried in return, throwing his hands in the air as he accepted the empty plate Charlotte slid across the table.

Things went quiet after that as the rest of us patiently waited our turn to receive each of the platters. Celestia had to admit, she savoured every bite. It was the biggest meal she'd had in a long time – Uncle was always kind enough to make sure his employees stayed fed while they worked but she'd always felt guilty and had taken only small helpings, but this felt different. Every time that she tried to only take a little portion, someone grabbed her plate and piled it back up with a huff.

"So, Tia," Gabe called. "Silas said that you draw. What kind of stuff?"

She swallowed my bite, "A lot of things really. I like to do fantasy but my art teacher at school that I could probably go into portraiture if I wanted to."

"I remember hearing Mr Ronan speak about your final project. He thought that you were most talented student he'd ever taught," Kota announced. "I believe that he was surprised when you let him keep it."

"I've met Mr Ronan," Gabe mused, staring at her as she tried to inconspicuously slip out of her seat and under the table. "He wouldn't just be saying that. You must be very, very good."

Celestia shrugged, "It's always been something to keep me occupied."

"What was your final project?" Owen asked.

"I did a scale portrait of my mother when she was young," She replied solemnly. "I decided to let the school display it since I never actually got to give it to her."

"Oh," Sang murmured, her eyes dropping to the table. "We didn't mean..."

Sighing, Celestia set down my cutlery. "My mother died a couple of weeks ago and she was a drug addict who forgot I existed most of the time but she was still my Mum and your sister. We can't change anything and I don't want to be stuck making everyone feel awkward whenever she's mentioned. I did the portrait of her because the assignment was to pick a relative to paint. She was all I had. Until now," She added the last quietly as they all avoided eye contact.

"Yes, until now," Victor reiterated.

"I would love to see some of your work one day," Gabe murmured quietly. "I own a small gallery in town and I'm always looking for local talent if you'd like to come check it out?"

Nodding, she felt only the bare tips of my lips turn up, "I'd like that, Uncle Gabe."

Some sort of emotion flashed in those blue eyes before Sofia suddenly groaned, "I feel like I should be sobbing right now but since my mascara isn't waterproof. I'm ready to go spend my life savings on clothes, shoes and makeup now."

They all laughed at the way she shredded the tension as Gabe, Charlotte and Ashleigh also jumped up while Dimitrius hauled Celestia to her feet and gently shoved her towards the door, "Have fun, cuz."

"May God bless you and keep you," Luke called, waving gaily.

"Good luck," Owen intoned, nodding seriously as she felt Sofia and Avery grab one of her arms each.

Why did she feel as though she was actually going to regret meeting her dear old Uncle Gabriel?

Photograph of Alexander Blackbourne