Chapter Six - The Residence

Hyperventilating, Celestia looked up at the mansion and knew that she couldn't do it.

As soon as she had woken up panic had set in. Celestia had carefully picked out one of her better outfits, forced herself to have breakfast, and packed up the small box that she wanted to give Sang.

But now...there was no way she was getting out of the car. These people were not her people, she was a thrift store, dirt poor orphan while Sang and her family lived in a massive two-storey estate. With electronic gates and a rounded driveway!

There was a gentle tap on the window but she ignored Uncle, hitting the lock on her door. She could wait in the car until he got sick of standing there and agreed to take her home.

He might fire her for wasting his time but that had to be better than making an absolute fool of herself in front of her aunt and her obviously wealthy partners.

"Tia," The man crooned, his eyes creasing at the sides as he fought not to smile or laugh.

"No," She called, knowing that he could hear her. "This was a terrible idea. I'll just hide out here."

"There's nothing to be panicked about, sweetie. Sang is going to love you."

Celestia turned on him with a hiss, "I look like a second-hand store reject. A single blade of their grass is probably worth more than all of my possessions combined!"

He lost the fight against his chuckles, "You'd be surprised by what they think when it comes to people in your sort of situation. Get out of the car so that I can introduce you. They're probably staring out of the windows right now."

Her head whipped wildly from side to side, eyes widening as she noticed the tell-tale sign of someone peeking out, a curtain flapping closed when the window was shut behind it.

She knew that she was being ridiculous but after finding the journal, this is all Celestia had thought about, all she wanted but now that she was mere moments away from possibly meeting her unknown aunt and uncles, she felt inferior and pathetic.

Her palms were sweaty as they clutched the box on her lap. She really, really wanted to go back home.

Back to a house that she was about to sell.

Celestia chomped at her bottom lip for a moment. It was a decision which had just crept up on her, there was nothing holding her in Sunnyvale Court anymore and her dream was to go to college which meant big changes, expensive changes.

Selling the house was pretty much her only option. With the money from the sale, she could pay the last, lingering debts and find a nice apartment to rent while she studied and found another job.

So, really, this might be the only chance she had to meet the rest of her family, especially if they wanted nothing to do with her.

She was the daughter of the bad apple, after all.

Feeling only a little brave, she unclipped the belt and struggled out of the car, grateful for Uncle's support as they walked over the gravel path to the veranda and front door.

As he reached a hand out for the knob, Celestia gasped, "Shouldn't we knock?"

He seemed to be on the verge of laughing again, "They already know that we're here and I haven't had to knock years."

"Oh," She nibbled at her lips. "Ok, if you're sure."

Turning the knob, he pushed open the heavy wooden door and wrapped a gentle arm around her shoulders, drawing them both into the simple but elegant entryway.

Wow, she whispered silently, taking in the stringed chandelier and the broad width of the polished staircase.

"In here, Uncle," A deep male voice called from a room somewhere off the long corridor which branch out around and behind the stairs.

"Good morning," Uncle replied cheerily, maintaining his reassuring grasp around Celestia as their footsteps rang over the marble floors. "I've brought some company."

There was no further reply, but Celestia could almost imagine the tension which now permeated the walls. She could understand why no one but trusted family was ever allowed on to the property, Sang's relationship was far from conventional, and she felt herself shaking. They were all going to be in there, judging her, wanting to call her a liar, maybe even hating her for bringing such upsetting news into their home.

Passing a number of doorways, she was able to glimpse all the signs of a large family who liked to spend time together – a living room filled with large couches ringed with bean bags, a dining hall with a table to seat a dozen.

Eventually, they reached the entrance to a grandiose kitchen, one which almost reminded her of the Diner with its benches and industrial sized appliances. Celestia wanted to smile for the first time that morning but the man standing with his back to them had her stomach roiling. Probably considered only average height, he still would tower over her. His hair was long, blonde and shaggy, his body covered by a simple powder blue shirt and jeans.

She gulped, looking up at Uncle for the reassurance she needed.

"Morning, Luke," He cried cheerfully. "Where is everyone else?"

The man, Luke, reached over to wipe his hands on a towel before spinning around with a mischievous smile. There was a small trace of surprise in his brown eyes as he found her under his uncle's arm but he still waved them both in.

"This an early visit," He observed, his gaze tracing carefully over her face as a frown begun to mark his. "And who is the lovely company you've brought to visit?"

"You've heard me talk about Celestia before," Uncle replied. "You know that I would normally never bring anyone here unless it was important," Celestia felt him draw in a deep breath. "She's come to meet Sang, Lucian."

If he had been expecting anything, Celestia was sure that Luke had not been expecting that.

"Why is that?" His voice had cooled, making the room seem chilly.

"P-please," Celestia interrupted on a whisper, "I need to talk to her."

"What the fuck are you doing, Uncle?" A booming voice came from close behind them, startling her enough that she let out a frightened cry and nearly dropped the precious cargo in her hands.

"Settle, North," A woman ordered softly in reply.

Celestia ducked under Uncle's arm and spun to face the threat at her back, nearly choking as she was presented with a veritable crowd of people.

At a count, there were seventeen standing there with various expressions of curiosity, disapproval and shock on their faces, not an overly friendly one among them.

"Well, if it isn't the little mouse from the diner," One of the triplets spoke up, standing towards the back.

"Uncle?" A stern suited man questioned, his sleet grey eyes demanding immediate and satisfactory answers.

But it wasn't him who stole Celestia's attention for standing slightly behind him was a delicate blonde woman whose green eyes sparkled with interest.

She drew in the smells of the house, struggling to main eye contact, "I'm...I'm sorry to intrude but I needed to speak to Sang Sorenson."

"About what?" The woman quirked an eyebrow as she glanced around at her family.

"I came to talk to you about your sister, Marie."