1

Sage

"Mommy, just pleaseeeeee."

"Why on earth would you want to go to school in the hood? It's despicable there and I will not receive a call saying that my daughter has been shot."

One of our maids walked past with Daniel.

"I want him." I spoke, taking my baby brother from her.

"Here you are, Miss Wyatt."

"Thank you, Camilla."

She nodded and walked away.

"But think of the experiences I would receive. Did you forget that you yourself grew up in the housing projects, Serenity Wyatt?"

"Then I met a man with ambition and he now is the CEO of General Motors."

"And where did that man come from, mother?"

"It doesn't matter where he came from. What matters is what your father made of himself."

"I don't even want to go to school for the boys. I want to experience something new. Not the daily uniforms or the mandatory school band practices."

My brother rubbed his face into my neck before cooing.

"You keep talking about experience. What do you want out of this?"

"As you know, I am very serious about my art."

"Your hobby, yes."

Art was more than something I did in my leisure time, but I bit my tongue.

"I want a new inspiration, a new muse."

"You're personifiying your art as a person."

"Well she's very influential on my character."

Daniel grabbed a piece of my hair and yanked it as hard as he could.

"Daniel Emerson Wyatt! You know better." My mom scolded before taking him out of my arms.

His name didn't even sound black.

I couldn't talk about my name either because I was named after a culinary herb.

Sage ▪No middle name▪ Wyatt.

Danny immediately began crying at the sound of his mother's harsh tone.

But then again, he could have been crying because his nap had been interrupted.

"Oh honey, I didn't mean it. You can yank her hair as much as you want. It shouldn't be hard for your father to replace." She kissed his forehead, and in return he grabbed a piece of her front section and attempted to pull it down past his knee.

"Ow. Ow. Ow. Sage, get your monster." She joked.

I took him away from her again, and put him on my hip.

"We're going upstairs until dinner." I said.

"I'll ask your father and we'll have an answer for you at dinner."

"Thank you."

-
Daniel screamed and reached his arms out for Camilla.

"Coming, Mr. Wyatt."

I giggled. "Daniel stop worrying her for no reason. You don't have to come, Camilla."

She nodded. "Yes ma'am."

"Show off. Always calling people so that they see you can sit up by yourself, now."

He in turn, lifted his leg slightly at me, falling backwards.

He squealed and continued his kicking motion.

"Are you trying to kick me?"

His laugher died down and he looked at me with a straight face.

"I'm telling mom." I poked his chunky leg.

He laughed and looked at me with wide eyes before yawning.

"Are you about to fall asleep on me? Lazy boy."

Camilla walked in with his bottle and he began to cry.

I giggled and took the bottle from her.

"Thank you, Camilla. Is my father home, yet?"

"You don't need to thank me, Ms. Wyatt." She smiled lightly. "Your father isn't home yet, but Bailey has started on dinner, so I'm sure he'll be home soon."

"Thank you." I positioned my brother up on my arm to feed him.

"Danny, tell mommy to let me go to a public school."

I lifted him onto my shoulder to burp him and sat him down on the bed when he was done.

"Goodnight to you, too."

-

We had just eaten dinner and were now on dessert

"So, daddy. . ." I trailed. "Did mommy have a talk with you, by any chance?"

"Your mother has a lot of talks with me. Which one, exactly?" He smirked at me, playfully.

"The one about public school."

"Why would you want to go to one anyways?"

"Well you know how you've been a millionaire for as long as I can remember? Making millions on top of millions every month at the company?"

He nodded, whilst chuckling. "Yes, Sage. I do."

"Well you also lived in poverty and the first half of your life is what shaped you today, correct?"

He shifted in his seat. "Correct."

"I want to make something of myself with my art and I've been so sheltered my whole life and I would like a drastic change to better myself and my art."

"And my answer is no."

My jaw dropped. "But dad-"

"Well that was my original answer until you mentioned your art. I absolutely love it, Sage. So my new answer is yes."

I squealed in my seat, causing Danny to squeal.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

"But, I am only allowing you to go for 3 months."

"Deal."

"Since you probably already have chosen a school, which one are you going to?"

"Detroit City High." It was one of the worst high schools in Detroit, but it's the same school my parents went to.

~