chapter XX

Luke delivers the girl to Mara as an early anniversary gift. It wasn't very hard to track her down, and even easier to best her in combat. No wonder she has her lover fight for her. Juno Luck isn't much of a fighter. She was meant for the shadows, where stealth gave her the upper hand. Now, she is defeated, restrained, and waiting for something. For too long she has been sitting alone in this dark room.

The silence is about to drive her crazy when the door suddenly opens. The light nearly blinds her, but she can see the red hair before the door shuts again and sweet darkness returns.

"Mara?" she calls out. "What's going on?" She can hear the footsteps approach, along with her visitor's steady breathing. The light above them flicks on, and Juno has to squint to look at Mara. It's an intimidating sight, especially to one tied down. Mara is tall, confidant in her position of power. There's no glare or scowl on her face, yet there is a hardness in her gaze that's scarier. Juno knows exactly what's going on.

Still, she'd rather Mara Jade be her interrogator that Luke Skywalker, the man who has gained such a terrifying reputation so quickly. Mara thinks she knows Luke; she has no idea.

"Give me more credit." Mara speaks softly with cool control but Juno sees her anger. "I know you're acting. I've seen what you've done."

Juno wants to call her bluff but there's no use, she recognizes that. But how could Mara know everything? Juno is careful. She always has been. All of her tracks have been covered, she doesn't keep friends. She's only ever had one confidant.

No. He's so strong and he loves Juno. He would never do anything to betray her, he would die for her. It's why she trusts him with everything. Yet there's a sinking in her gut, a dawning horror as she begins to realize the worst has happened to them. Not wanting Mara to see her grief, Juno lowers her head and stares at the ground.

"Where is he?" she asks, hoping Mara doesn't bear the slight shake in her voice. "What have you done with him?"

"He was useless after his mind led us straight to you."

Mara's words seem to suck the air out of the room. Juno feels as if she's in a vacuum, being crushed and smothered.

"No," she whispers, unwilling to believe that he might actually be gone forever. They were a bad idea, she always knew it, she always tried to tell him. But he fought so hard, he made her actually believe that it could all work. That they were worth it. Were they worth this?

"I couldn't have him coming after me again," Mara explains, as if she regrets it, as if she pities Juno.

Juno clenches her hands into fists, whispering, "Oh, Joe, stupid boy." His name on her lips breaks her. What does it matter if Mara sees her weakness? He's gone. Her vision grows blurry as tears begin to build. She doesn't have the energy to feel ashamed.

"He tried very hard to protect you, if that helps," Mara tells her, and Juno shudders. "His mind was just too weak; it succumbed very quickly to Luke's."

"Don't you speak of him," Juno snarls. She lifts her head, bares herself to the Emperor's Hand. "You kriffing scum." Her face shines in the low light, tear tracks staining her skin. Once, it would have moved Mara, before everything had changed. She had grown weak, emotional compromised. She had grown to care for this girl who she never truly knew. Such an amateur mistake; Mara cursed herself for it.